Setting Up Dynamic DNS For Your Domain

Erik508

hi again.

sorry, zoneedit does not offer an API at present.

regards.

I see the existing third party clients call an API to update the dns, one uses api.cp.zoneedit.com, another one uses dynamic.zoneedit.com. There are various parameters such as hostname and ip address. I am looking for documentation on these APIs

I can reverse engineer what the other clients do, but I would much rather use the actual API documentation

Last edited:

Andrew Leahy

Hi, I'm having a problem setting up dynamic dns using ddclient on Linux.
It always says I'm hitting the zoneedit endpoint too often, even if I wait an hour.

Is the 10minute wait interval just for that specific hostname or does it apply for ANY DDNS request on a host in the domain?

Thanks

Partial debug...

DEBUG: get_ip: using ip, ip reports 1.2.3.4
DEBUG: nic_zoneedit1_update -------------------
INFO: setting IP address to 1.2.3.4 for piclamp17.sstars.ws
UPDATE: updating piclamp17.sstars.ws
DEBUG: protocol = https
DEBUG: server = dynamic.zoneedit.com
DEBUG: url = auth/dynamic.html?<redacted>
CONNECT: dynamic.zoneedit.com
CONNECTED: using SSL
SENDING: GET /auth/dynamic.html?host=piclamp17.sstars.ws&dnsto=1.2.3.4 HTTP/1.1
SENDING: Host: dynamic.zoneedit.com
SENDING: Authorization: Basic <redacted>
SENDING: User-Agent: ddclient/3.10.0
SENDING: Connection: close
RECEIVE: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
RECEIVE: Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 12:30:07 GMT
RECEIVE: Server: Apache
RECEIVE: Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
RECEIVE: <ERROR CODE="702" PARAM="600" TEXT="Minimum 600 seconds between requests" ZONE="piclamp17.sstars.ws">
FAILED: updating piclamp17.sstars.ws: 702: Minimum 600 seconds between requests

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
the 10 minute Too Soon applies to all dynamic updates on the zone.,, not per ddns record.
regards

Andrew Leahy

the 10 minute Too Soon applies to all dynamic updates on the zone.,, not per ddns record.
regards
Thanks. I don't believe there are any other dynamic updates happening on the zone. This is the first time I've tried to set this up.
How do I find out what is causing the persistent "go away for 10minutes" wait?
Is there a log or something I can check on the cp.zoneedit.com client portal?

Last edited:

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi again.. our logs only indicate the same concern:

Jun 21 12:40:59 dyn02-zpc zoneedit: /var/www/dynamic.zoneed <-@115.69.13.48> Update frequency too high for piclamp17.sstars.ws. Increase time between updates to 600 seconds or more. (Delta 313)
Jun 21 12:41:00 dyn02-zpc zoneedit: /var/www/dynamic.zoneed <-@115.69.13.48> Dynamic request: [client] => zoneedit_legacy; [rsp_ident] => zoneedit; [username] => aleahy2; [password] => ****; [hostname] => piclamp17.sstars.ws; [ip] => 1.2.3.4; [wildcard] => ; [token] => ****;
Jun 21 12:41:00 dyn02-zpc zoneedit: /var/www/dynamic.zoneed <-@115.69.13.48> Update frequency too high for piclamp17.sstars.ws. Increase time between updates to 600 seconds or more. (Delta 314)

I am looking into what yo might be able to do to fix this.

mpinnuck

I am having trouble getting the Javascript Client to update my DDNS DYN record nas.microconcepts.com.au
I entered my ZE name,token and the url. Click "Start" the current time is displayed and thats it.
Sniffed the traffic with Wireshark and a healthy TLS stream. Cannot get a response displayed?

namekman

I'm trying to get dynamic updates for the wildcard record to work and I keep getting the NO_SERVICE response and that I've specified an invalid hostname.

https://<user>:<token>@api.cp.easydns.com/dyn/generic.php?hostname=<mydomain>.com&wildcard=yes&myip=1.1.1.1

I realize that IP is cloudflares, just trying to see if I can set it from what it currently is.

That's the string I'm using. I have an @ record specified as a DYN record and have a token. I've tried specifying @.mydomain.com as well. I've tried without the wildcard=yes on a different dyn record and get the same outcome. I'm missing something, just unsure that that is. UPdates manually just fine.

mpinnuck

I tried ddclient like the member above, modified the update frequency to 15m.
it reports no change required, will report back after my ip address changes.