Setting Up Dynamic DNS For Your Domain

raj

I have a dynamic hostname setup and it seems to be working ("home.mojostan.us"). I found that the "zoneedit-dynjs.html" was simply creating a URL like:
...//rjohnson70:MyToken@dynamic.zoneedit.com/dyn/jsclient.php?rsp_ident=zoneedit&hostname=home.mojostan.us&wildcard=NO
so I simply use curl in a crontab entry every 30 minutes. (This means it automatically runs when the system is running, without any need for a server, web page, etc.)

This always returns:
<ERROR CODE="700" TEXT="no update required for home.mojostan.us to 98.173.52.230" ZONE="home.mojostan.us">
but it looks as though that's the expected result as long my outside IP hasn't changed?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't be doing the updates this way? I don't want to over-tax zoneedit's servers in any way, but this looks to me to be basically the same as what the ".html" script is doing and it makes sense. Sandy, anything I'm missing?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Raj,

it all looks like it's working properly, that is the expected result if no update is needed so it is got it working OK. We don't see any reason for you to not use curl to update dynamic DNS the way you are doing so presently .

thanks

John Clarke

Hi There. I have had Dynamic DNS set up and working for a while for two domains (10000trees.uk and allyclarke.uk) . I'm using ddclient and interestingly used a single token (from the 10000trees.uk domain) and this has been happily updating both. I have today just added a third domain giddyauntphotos.co.uk but am now getting a 709 error in the logs and the IP is not updated.
("FAILED: updating giddyauntphotos.co.uk: 709: Invalid hostname: giddyauntphotos.co.uk")

Can you see anything I've done wrong at your end?
Many thanks
Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Kind Regards
John

John Clarke

Hi Sandy
Hope you are well.
The /etc/ddclient.conf file which was working previously was as follows:

# Configuration file for ddclient generated by debconf
#
# /etc/ddclient.conf
daemon=300
pid=/var/run/ddclient.pid
protocol=zoneedit1
use=web, web=my.ip.fi/
server=dynamic.zoneedit.com
login=johnandally
password='xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
allyclarke.uk,10000trees.uk

I have amended the file and generated a new token for giddyauntphotos.co.uk but it now gives the 709 error:

# Configuration file for ddclient generated by debconf
#
# /etc/ddclient.conf
daemon=300
pid=/var/run/ddclient.pid
protocol=zoneedit1
use=web, web=my.ip.fi/
server=dynamic.zoneedit.com
login=johnandally
password='yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy'
giddyauntphotos.co.uk

Hope this gives a clue. Should I have separate tokens for each domain?

Many thanks
John

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
yes... please try with a dedicated dyn auth token for that explicit domain

thanks

Steve S.

I have been using zoneedit for dynamic dns for a long long time with my domain. I am having a weird problem with a subdomain I am using to keep track on a network at another location. i am using ddclient and it updates ip address of the subdomain on zoneedit just fine. I can get to the web server running on port 80 using that current ip address registered on Zoneedit, yet when I use dig or try to ping it is responds with an old address. I run this troubleshooting script "ddclient -daemon=0 -debug -verbose -noquiet" it also responds with the correct ip address.
This subdomain setup worked in the past so I am totally baffled by this. Any help would be appreciated.

munonax

Hi, why there are only sub-domains for example: home.example.com, I don't want to use sub domain, i want main domain example.com. Could you explain about the Domain record file, where to find it? I registered domain with Godaddy
I have watched many tutorial video to setup home sever for dynamic ip, Dyndns, Noip.... They are all using sub domain, or some strange domain these companies provide. I don't want that, i want to point my domain from Godaddy to my dynamic ip pc at home, please do a tutorial video about it if it is possible
Thank you
Visit: for more details.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
when you create the dynamic record in your zone file.. use the @ sign as the host and that will update the root domain and not a sub domain.

thanks

wwinter2

hi, I have configured
firsl line: host & subdomain with @ - type= Dynamic DNS
second line: host & subdomain with * - type = Dynamic DNS
lookup solves only subdomain.domain
if I do a myadoman lookup the ip is wrong

how do I resolve both host.domain and only domain?
sorry for bad english!

wwinter2

Thank you!
My domain is mywebservice(.) it
If I do www.mywebservice(.)it everything is fine if instead I only do mywebservice (.) it gives me error
any name *(.)mywebservice(.) it works
without host does not work .
how should i configure the domain to resolve both ?
Thanks again

I had to correct the post ...
(Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator. )....