TheWeb.zone Hobby Renewal

neilormos

In 2022, in response to an ad for an end-of-year special, I bought the TheWeb.zone Hobby web hosting service. I recently received a renewal notice. I logged in, selected the Get Web Hosting option in the upper right, and see there's an option for 1 year of the hobby web hosting service for $12. But when I try to select that and enter my existing cpanel user id and domain name, I get error messages that stating that the domain name is already provisioned and that the old cpanel user id is not available. Is there a way to renew the Hobby service for the $12 promotional pricing? Thank you.

zeadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

What is the domain name for the hosting you already purchased?
Sounds like you need to log in to the existing ZE account to renew the existing service, not add a new one.

neilormos

Thank you for replying.
The domain name for the Hobby hosting plan is ormos.org
The system seems to be willing to let me buy a new Hobby hosting plan for $12 for a year, but that price is not shown for a renewal of the old plan.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
HI there

The $12.00 was/is a promotion for new sites only, not for renewals. .. renewals would be at the normal posted rate. On your zoneedit account hover over the User id at the top and on the drop down menu select the TheWEB.zone option and click renew. I hope this helps and I am sorry for the inconvenience.

neilormos

Thank you for the reply.

I don't really have a "site" per se that I expect to have a continued presence. I just wanted a place to host some files that I occasionally make available to friends, etc. IIRC, I never even pointed an A record.

$70/year is a little steep for that use case.

To the extent I don't need continuity, would it be permissible to allow the existing service to lapse and then repurchase the promotion? If so, how long should I expect to wait before the cpanel user id and the site's domain are de-provisioned? As an alternative, may I simply purchase the Hobby hosting service, using the promotion, for a different one of my domains?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again

You could do that , I am not sure how much longer that promotion will be available...

regards

neilormos

Can you recommend one or the other approach? If I were to allow the existing service to lapse, how long will it take to de-provision the old service. Thank you for your help.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
I would recommend copying all the data you have currently stored, let the current web hosting acocunt expire then request we delete it.. then open a new one with the promo rate and reload your content. When you request the accounts deletion use the get Support link at the top right of your zoneedit members page.

regards