ZoneOut and Postfix

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
that appears to be a a configuration issue in your main.cf. can you please lookup the error and reference the postfix documentation available,

regards.

Ben25

Thanks for the reply Sandy.

My postfix IS receiving E-mail that is sent here through port 2525 which is what I want, I tested it via a different third party who is specifically sending it to port 2525, but the 3rd party CANNOT send mail to me by using just *@mail.self-wrighting.net and he should be able to.

No log on my pfsense or postfix or any other logs, shows anything attempting to come to my mail server via port 2525, (save the exception mentioned above), though it is presently set in the MX Record field in the zoneedit Control panel. No errors, no rejections, no acceptance, no record whatsoever, no nothing.

Anyone SHOULD be able to send E-mail to my server just by using the domain name without having to specify the port.
Settings on my account over there;

MX records​
Click to edit settings for this section
MAIL FOR ZONE MAIL SERVER PREF TTL
self-wrighting.net mail.self-wrighting.net:2525

CNAME/Alias records​
HOST ADDRESS TTL
mail.self-wrighting.netself-wrighting.netdefault

Is that not correct?

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Your DNS configuration is only set for addresses based on your root domain - self-wrighting.net. That is what the "MAIL FOR ZONE" specifies.

When someone emails *@self-wrighting.net it is resolving mail.self-wrighting.net:2525

You're now referring to email addresses based on a sub-domain - i.e. *@mail.self-wrighting.net, which doesn't exist as an MX record.

You would need a second MX record configured as such:

MAIL FOR ZONE: mail
MAIL SERVER: mail.self-wrighting.net:2525

You would now be able to accept emails directed towards *@mail.self-wrighting.net

Ben25

Yes... or so one would think, Chris. However, there is something else going on here.

This setup that I have has been working for well over a decade, (probably closer to 2), with zoneedit with minor variations over time. Yet, despite various attempts no E-mail ever reaches my server using any variation of the following, including trying different ports. (My ISP blocked port 25 around the end of last year.) No logs show rejection, connection, errors or warnings that anything E-mail related on any port, has been pointed at my machine(s).

MX records​
MAIL FOR ZONE MAIL SERVER PREF TTL
self-wrighting.net self-wrighting.net:26

My setup is not complex and postfix here can be reached from the outside, via any port that I choose, (save port 25), the current one in use being port 26.

Any MX test site can reach my E-mail server on any port that I set it too, and receives the appropriate responses. However, still no E-mail reaches my server. The only thing outside of my control that appears to not be working is the routing of E-mail via your servers to mine.

Has something in your setup or process changed since last December that I am not aware of that can affect this?

MXToolbox shows this when doing an MXLookup on self-wrighting.net:
mx:self-wrighting.net

PrefHostnameIP AddressTTL
5mx-caprica.zoneedit.com64.68.198.23
easyDNS Technologies, Inc. (AS16686)
0 secBlacklist Check SMTP Test

TestResult
Status Problem DMARC Record PublishedNo DMARC Record found Information More Info Status Warning DMARC Policy Not EnabledDMARC Quarantine/Reject policy not enabled Information More Info
Status Ok DNS Record PublishedDNS Record found

Yet, when preforming Test Mail Server for self-wrighting.net results show;

smtp:self-wrighting.net

Unable to connect after 15 seconds.​

TestResult
Status Problem SMTP ConnectFailed To Connect Information More Info
Session Transcript:
Connecting to 76.11.87.209
2/26/2023 6:24:30 AM Connection attempt #1 - Unable to connect after 15 seconds. [15.01 sec]

LookupServer 15034ms

Which is EXACTLY what one would expect if zoneedit was routing to port 25 and not to the one selected which is right now, set to port 26.

However, setting the Test Mail Server to self-wrighting.net:26 works exactly as expected; complete success.

smtp:self-wrighting.net:26

220 mail.self-wrighting.net ESMTP Postfix​

TestResult
Status Warning SMTP Banner CheckReverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner Information More Info
Status Ok SMTP Reverse DNS MismatchOK - 76.11.87.209 resolves to host-76-11-87-209.public.eastlink.ca
Status Ok SMTP Valid HostnameOK - Reverse DNS is a valid Hostname
Status Ok SMTP TLSOK - Supports TLS.
Status Ok SMTP Connection Time1.113 seconds - Good on Connection time
Status Ok SMTP Open RelayOK - Not an open relay.
Status Ok SMTP Transaction Time1.722 seconds - Good on Transaction Time
Session Transcript:
Connecting to 76.11.87.209

220 mail.self-wrighting.net ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu) [1035 ms]
EHLO keeper-us-east-1d.mxtoolbox.com
250-mail.self-wrighting.net
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 52428800
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH PLAIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250-DSN
250-SMTPUTF8
250 CHUNKING [188 ms]
MAIL FROM:<supertool@mxtoolboxsmtpdiag.com>
250 2.1.0 Ok [186 ms]
RCPT TO:<test@mxtoolboxsmtpdiag.com>
454 4.7.1 <test@mxtoolboxsmtpdiag.com>: Relay access denied [179 ms]

LookupServer 2298ms

Are you SURE that your setup is routing to the port set on my Account setup page as shown above?

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hello,

Using the root domain for your MX record when using our MX Port Forwarding is not recommended - it won't work that way correctly. I've updated your DNS configuration on how it would work best by using the sub-domain mail.self-wrighting.net as the MX.

My mention of not using the "mail for zone" as "mail.self-wrighting.net" might have confused that part. It was perfectly fine (and recommended) to have the Mail Server set as mail.self-wrighting.net, so I revered it back to that and created an A Record to match.

So long as your server is configured to handle mail as mail.self-wrighting.net on port 26 it should work.