Zoneedit on Hitron CODA-4582U Modem

junkyjunky

Hi, got a new modem that doesn't allow the previous free DDNS service I used, I've registered a domain and looking for some help as I cannot get my modem to set this up. There is a drop-down for zoneedit.com, but I continue to get the error: "Failed connect to DDNS server, please wait a moment and try again." I've done a manual update of my IP for now so that I can get access to my NAS and other webservices, but I'd really like to get the DDNS service setup so I don't need to keep doing the updates.

Attaching a pic, but in summary:
  • service provider: selected zoneedit.com from the drop-down
  • username: my cp.zoneedit.com username
  • password: auth token
  • hostname: my url rahebhouse.com
  • updates: every hour
What am I doing wrong here? I've done some reading/searching on the forums and can't seem to find anything on this.

Capture.JPG

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Two requests were coming in for your domain—one for a sub-domain, then the root domain later.

Two came in for the sub-domain shortly after it was set.
Dec 23 20:56:52 dyn02-zpc zoneedit: /var/www/dynamic.zoneed <-@97.###.###.203> Update frequency too high for nas.rahebhouse.com. Increase time between updates to 600 seconds or more. (Delta 24)

An update must only occur 10+ minutes apart.

I'm not sure if the root domain update also forced the sub-domain to update too soon? That is what the "wait a moment and try again" is interpreting (I think).

Those DYN DNS records exist in the zone now.

junkyjunky

Two requests were coming in for your domain—one for a sub-domain, then the root domain later.

Two came in for the sub-domain shortly after it was set.
Dec 23 20:56:52 dyn02-zpc zoneedit: /var/www/dynamic.zoneed <-@97.###.###.203> Update frequency too high for nas.rahebhouse.com. Increase time between updates to 600 seconds or more. (Delta 24)

An update must only occur 10+ minutes apart.

I'm not sure if the root domain update also forced the sub-domain to update too soon? That is what the "wait a moment and try again" is interpreting (I think).

Those DYN DNS records exist in the zone now.
Where are you seeing this? My activity logs are empty and my continued attempts at getting my modem to connect to zoneedit ddns continue to show the same error. Those updates you're referring to must have been the manual ones I conducted.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hello,

If that's the case, and you added the Dynamic DNS records manually, then your modem isn't making it to our server to update the records at all. The logs I have access to are staff only. I checked today's logs and there is no connections or updates to Dynamic DNS records for rahebhouse.com.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Yes, with the screenshot, as best I can tell, has the expected settings to update DDNS records. The only thing I can't see is the true URL path that "default@zoneedit.com" is trying to use. Like, what hostname is it connecting to, is it forcing HTTPS, etc...

Edit: I suspect that they have the path hardcoded into the modem, but it would be nice to see what it is and if it's outdated at all.

Last edited:

junkyjunky

Hmmm...that's exactly what I was afraid of. I'm sure the data fields in the modem are outdated and I can't edit them. I don't know why they don't just leave these as custom entries!? Thanks for the help!

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
You're welcome, junkyjunky!

If you have any further questions or concerns, let me know.