Using Zoneedit and SPF

Rick Steeves

My hosting is currently at Bluehost.com. Their email is terrible, so I would like to move my email services to Zoneedit.

We have no mailboxes at Bluehost. Instead we use forwarders, so there are no "sending" mailboxes to deal with ( I have a server with an IP that sends mail, but can add that IP to the SPF record).

So I think what I need to do is:
set up my domain on Zoneedit (just as a placeholder)
Create a DKIM and DMARC record for zoneedit.
Create all of my forwarders
Update my SPF record to point to <the correct servers for zoneedit>
point my MX record to zoneedit.

Should that work?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there

for mail maps ( email forwarders ) all you need to create the mail maps, https://support.zoneedit.com/en/knowledgebase/article/mailmaps-email-forwarders ...have the MX record set to LOCAL and that will use the proper email forwarding mail server.. no SPF or DKIM records need to reference zoneedit as you would not be sending mail through a zoneedit mail server.. the SPF DKIM, DMARC etc would need to reference whatever you are using for outbound smtp only.

regards.

Rick Steeves

Thanks!

If I want to leave the DNS hosting at blueHost, and just use ZoneEdit for mail relay for my domain, will that (setting the MX Record to "LOCAL") work?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
if you use another DNS provider the primary MX would need to be: mx-caprica.zoneedit.com

regards.

Rick Steeves

OK, so I set all of my aliases up, updated the MX record to mx-caprica.zoneedit.com, but now when I log into my account, the entire domain registration and everything appears to be gone? ?

When I log into my account, there don't appear to be any domains set up. I spent quite a while setting up the aliases, and also updated all the A, CNAME, etc records (because I expect if I get this working I'm going to move my entire DNS here).

Rick Steeves

I just added the domain, and reconfigured the mailmaps and DNS, but I'd really like to know what could have made the entire thing disappear?

Rick Steeves

OK, well I"ve answered my own question. I have this email now:
The domain: CAROLINACANOECLUB.ORG has been deleted from the system.
Service Level: Free DNS
Date Added: 2023-01-23

The domain was never delegated to Zoneedit nameservers.

You can re-add the domain to the system or use the free slot for another domain.

a) be kinda nice if I got some kinda warning before all of my work was deleted.
b) from my comments above, I had never considered that I'd have to completely move everything to ZoneEdit. I had even said "as a placeholder", and asked if I could use another DNS provider.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
I am very sorry. you added the domain just before a cron job ran looking for nonactive domain names.... i have posted of to dev to be sure to look at domain addition dates as well.

regards.