Using my Zoneedit hosted domain as sender failing

jwh107

My ISP is iinet. My Zoneedit hosted domain is jwh.id.au.
I have several accounts set up in my email client that use different jwh.id.au addresses as the sender.
Previously, this had worked well. The last email successfully sent using this setup was sent on 28 Aug.
Yesterday, I tried to reply to an email, using one on my jwh.id.au addresses, and got the following error:
Server Error: 550
Server Response: 550 mf-505: Sender Policy - Relay Denied
Server: 'mail.iinet.net.au'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC78
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No
I then tried using the account setup with the last successfully sent email and got the same response.

I contacted iinet and, after being bounced around, was finally told that it was a hosting issue, ie Zoneedit.
Could you please help me to understand what's happening here.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hello jwh107,

Sorry, it looks like we missed responding to your inquiry.

What IINet.net.au has done is tighten security on their SMTP server. They're not allowing you to send emails from a domain they don't host. It should have always been like that, and the fact you could do it before was a security flaw.

You must have an SMTP service that allows sending via username/password authentication for relaying emails based on @jwh.id.au.

We have an SMTP service called Zoneout, which costs one credit/month.

When logged into your Zoneedit account, go here:

jwh107

Thanks for the explanation. I've been using that setup since I signed up to Zoneedit in 2002. I guess they're cleaning things up before they hand off to The Messaging Company.