Understanding problems with external registrar

padworks

I have a domain with an external registrar. I don't want to change this one either...

Now I want to create a subdomain to use ddns for the subdomain (locally operated web service). Now I can add the domain for free at Zoneedit and set up ddns for it accordingly.
What I do not understand now... for the domain (and also the subdomain) the responsibility and registration duty is still with my registrar. As I understand it, I would now have to create a subdomain at my registrar and deposit a DNS record as a forwarding to ZoneEdit also at my registrar? (It would be irresponsible, if someone else could apply for a subdomain with free targets on a foreign domain).

However, I have not found any information how this DNS record has to look like. Can someone please help me?

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hello,

Your registrar allows you to set the authoritative nameservers your domain uses for routing. Most registrars will automatically assign theirs to provide you with DNS services. However, suppose they don't provide Dynamic DNS, and you're looking for a provider like Zoneedit. In that case, once you've added your domain to our system, you must visit your registrar's control panel and switch the (WHOIS) nameservers they currently have set to use ours.

dns1.zoneedit.com
dns2.zoneedit.com

When I look at a WHOIS for the domain you added to your account, it appears to have DNSSEC enabled, which means it's a bit more complex.

Domain name
<redacted for privacy>

Registrar
Hostpoint AG
Neue Jonastrasse 60
CH-8640 Rapperswil-Jona
Phone +41 844040404
domain@hostpoint.ch

DNSSEC
yes

Name servers
ns2.hostpoint.ch 217.26.53.254
ns2.hostpoint.ch 2a00:d70:0:b::1d
ns3.hostpoint.ch 217.26.48.126
ns3.hostpoint.ch 2a00:d70:0:a::d
ns.hostpoint.ch 217.26.51.254
ns.hostpoint.ch 2a00:d70:0:b::d

You would have first to disable DNSSEC, then update the nameservers away from all the ns#.hostpoint.ch to our zoneedit nameservers. Let that propagate, and the Dynamic DNS record starts functioning.

Alternatively, you could use the DNS Resource "NS" Record type (if your DNS host supports it) to delegate the sub-domain to our nameservers. You would then need to have us manually configure a DNS zone in our system specifically for that sub-domain (and remove the free service for the root domain).