Setting Up Dynamic DNS For Your Domain

zeadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Things To Know:
  • The new platform should be backward compatible with the old ZoneEdit dynamic DNS clients. If you were using it before the acquisition it should still work now. Post a bug report if this is not the case.
  • You can still use your username/password for dynamic DNS but we strongly recommend using the AUTH token. When you do that, you enable AUTH tokens in the dynamic DNS section for your domain, and simply replace your password with the auth token.

Abcxyz77

Hi, why there are only sub-domains for example: home.example.com, I don't want to use sub domain, i want main domain example.com. Could you explain about the Domain record file, where to find it? I registered domain with Godaddy
I have watched many tutorial video to setup home sever for dynamic ip, Dyndns, Noip.... They are all using sub domain, or some strange domain these companies provide. I don't want that, i want to point my domain from Godaddy to my dynamic ip pc at home, please do a tutorial video about it if it is possible
Thank you

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there

To set a dynamic update for the root domain enter the @ sign in the host text box when creating a dynamic record,

thanks
sandy

veghnorb

Hi All,
I'm the owner of a domain and managed to set it up with a DYNamic record by typing in the IP manually and it's working fine, but I am unable to update the IP dynamically neither via the Javascript client showcased on your site nor via my Synology NAS server. I'm getting the response: <ERROR CODE="709" TEXT="Invalid hostname: www.xyxyxyxy.com" ZONE="www.xyxyxyxy.com">
I have attached some screenshots of my settings, what am I missing? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Norbert
DNS.JPG DynDNS_Updater.JPG

lukas.heer

Hi
I have exactly the same problem...
More than that: If I intentionally specify a wrong password, I still get the error message ERROR CODE="709" TEXT="Invalid hostname: www.xxxxxxx.ch" ZONE="www.xxxxxxx.ch"> !!!
In this case, I was expecting a message like: "Wrong password ".

Can anybody help? Thanks, Lukas

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
sorry for the delay Lukas.. what is the domain name of concern?

thanks
sandy

LyndonL

Hi,

I'm trying to use the JavaScript DynDNS updater, and I'm not getting a response message at all, and my IP isn't updating.

I press Start and Client Status says ON (even for a one time update) but nothing happens. I've tried it in Chrome (latest) and Edge. I've looked in the JavaScript console and I'm not getting any error messages.
The settings I'm using are:
Username: <as per login>
Password: I've tried the Auth token, and my login password
Hostname: I've tried @ and my hostname
Update wildcard: I've tried no and yes

Thanks for any suggestions.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hmm the zone seems fine... please send in the command line being used or the router config and I wil see what I can do... omit and password and user ID info,.....

thanks
sandy

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there

so sorry just saw this reply now.... how are things working now?

thanks
sandy

LyndonL

No problems. It still wasn't working for me, however my router firmware updated and that's now automatically doing it like it used to, which is a better outcome for me! Thanks :)

tom1234

I tried to use dynamic DNS with my domain.
I tried several methods to update the IP (DynDNS of Router (O2 HomeBox 2), ddclient, script from this forum, javascript dynamic dns client for zoneedit) without success.
I always get
<ERROR CODE="709" TEXT="Invalid hostname: yyy.xxx.de" ZONE="yyy.xxx.de">
I tried with and without subdomaine.
I followed the directions in the videos for the setup.
Any suggestions appreciated
Tom

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Tom,

can you please reply with a domain name in the account.

thanks
sandy

Mihai

I need some help with this. I don't quite follow the explanation in the video.
I have a domain (Domain A) that I added to my account and I now want to just point to my router. My router has a dynamic IP but I have domain name that dynamically points to my router (Domain B).

Is it possible to configure Domain A to simply point o Domain B in the Dynamic DNS section?

I watched the video several times and I don't get it. :) What does that js script do actually? Gets the ip address of the router... but how does the system know how to update it?

Thank you in advance!

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there

did you manually enter the IP that is listed in the dyn records now? are all the dyn records going to point to the same IP?

sandy