PTR Zone disappeared

loongtimeuser

We have one reverse zone in ZoneEdit. We're a legacy free zone.

It looks like it disappeared sometime recently, possibly today.

If we need to start paying for it, we can, but I did not see anything regarding this.

EDIT: Additional info. Paid for a credit. Added the zone. I immediately saw all existing records. I made a slight change. The zone is not loading.

Your tools shows an error causing the zone not to load of:

dns_master_load: :17: a.b.c..in-addr.arpa: multiple RRs of singleton type
zone a.b.c.in-addr.arpa/IN: loading from master file failed: multiple RRs of singleton type
zone a.b.c.in-addr.arpa/IN: not loaded due to errors.

That looks to be because of multiple SOAs. The zone shows:

$ORIGIN a.b.c.in-addr.arpa.
@ IN SOA dns0.zoneedit.com. zone.zoneedit.com. 1436466044 3600 600 604800 10800
@ IN SOA dns0.zoneedit.com. zone.zoneedit.com. 1436466044 43200 10800 1209600 3600
@ IN NS dns1.zoneedit.com.
@ IN NS dns2.zoneedit.com.
@ 7200 IN NS ns17.zoneedit.com.
@ 7200 IN NS ns2.zoneedit.com.

I'm unable to send some outbound e-mail because of a lack of reverse DNS. Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

Mark Jeftovic (#fb)

Administrator
Staff member
Check your email - now fixed.

FYI (to whoever's reading) - if you ever wind up in a situation with two SOA's in your zone, go into DNS Settings -> SOA and simply reconfirm those settings, it will remove the duplicate record. This seems to be a bug in the importation process that occasionally comes in.

We have a paid Zonedit account with credits available. This morning all ARPA zones for PTR records dissapeared from our account, and PTR records were not resolving.

We entered a ticket but got no reply, so we added 2 of the zones again.

It seems that with the new system DNS for ARPA zones should be dns1.zoneedit.com and dns2.zoneedit.com and not the old DNS servers that were assigned by Zonedit system when zones were created, for example ns13.zoneedit.com, ns15.zoneedit.com

So we were requesting local IP provider to change the delegation to dns1.zoneedit.com and dns2.zoneedit.com but then we noticed that PTR records starts resolving again.

So now we are not sure which name servers we should use for those zones.

Any information regarding this will be appreciated.

Mark Jeftovic (#fb)

Administrator
Staff member
You can use either, if your provider has not changed the delegation you can stick with NS13 and NS15, just update your NS records in the arpa zone.

Sorry about that, our pruning process had a malfunction with some zones, we've suspended it while we fix this. Were your reverse zones free or paid?

Mark Jeftovic (#fb)

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I realized that since that message, sorry about that, I did add some credits back to your account for that, let me know if you don't see them

Hi, i have just noticed another ARPA zone that dissapeared from our account (paid).
I have added it again and define the PTR record.
I also created a ticket requesting that the original DNS server assigned to the original zone also resolve it.
The ticket was created form 2Get Suppor2t in control panel but i received an email suggesting me to come to forum for support.
Thank You
Marcos

Mark Jeftovic (#fb)

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Marcos, I think the text you got was an autoresponder, your ticket should be picked up as it's a paid zone. Can you IM me the other domain that disappeared? We haven't rerun that process so I want to see how that happened.