Please help me set up a Sub-Domain of my main domain...

pantherslair

Zone Edit Support,

Could you please provide me with the step by step guide as to how I set up a Sub-Domain off my existing domain name? I have the following domain name set up with your service:

http://pantherslair.net

I would like help to set up a Sub-Domain as either:

http://ts3.pantherslair.net (1st preference)

or

http://pantherslair.ts3.net (2nd preference)

I would like to set this up for my Teamspeak 3 (ts3) Voice Server and will need additional help, so I can have this Sub-Domain address point to the following TS3 Server URL and/or IP Address:

Current Teamspeak 3 Address:

URL: ts14.freets3.net:10247

IP: 37.187.223.174:10247

I will need help to ensure that when users log in using my chosen Sub-Domain, that it will automatically redirect them to either the URL or IP Address listed above and that it will include the PORT Number of 10247, so that they can connect to the Teamspeak Server. I know this works because I have done it before with a previous address that I had used for my old Teamspeak 3 Server, but I am not sure how to set it up with your system. Please help.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there

that would be a URL forward where the host would be ts3 and gthe URL would be 37.187.223.174:10247

thanks
sandy

pantherslair

Thanks Sandy for the reply,

So that means, all I have to do is set up my chosen Sub-Domain under my existing domain / account and simply do a URL Forward to the IP Address and include the port number? I just want to make sure I get this correct, hence why I requested a step by step guide. Since all the changes to Zoneedit, I want to learn how to do this right, so if that guide could be provided, that would be most appreciated. Cheers.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again

there is no guide for this available per see....
Login to your account at cp.zoneedit.com. Click the Manage link next tothe domaian name.
Click the DNS settings tab on the left side bar.
Click the wrench in the square icon on the UREL forwarding module.
In the HOST text box enter ts3
in the URL text box enter ts14.freets3.net:10247
or
37.187.223.174:10247

whichever one you need..

then click Next and then click to Confirm the change.

thanks
sandy

pantherslair

Sandy,

Thanks heaps Chief! ;) I think I got it entered correctly, using the IP Address & Port Number. I will keep you posted if it's working, once it has propagated in a few hours. *thumbs up*

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
that port number closed the connection immediately on me:
telnet 37.187.223.174 10247
Trying 37.187.223.174...
Connected to ayuntamientos.ateneahost.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

thanks
sandy

pantherslair

I don't understand why it isn't working. I can connect to Teamspeak 3 using:

ts14.freets3.net:10247

or

37.187.223.176:10247

...without any issues at all. But I don't understand why I can't simply do a URL forward using the same details. What do I have to modify to make it work? I have set things like this up previously using URL forwarding or redirecting and its worked fine.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
this works:

telnet 37.187.223.176 10247
Trying 37.187.223.176...
Connected to ts14.freets3.net.

but this closes immediately:

telnet 37.187.223.174 10247
Trying 37.187.223.174...
Connected to ayuntamientos.ateneahost.com.
Connection closed by foreign host.

sandy

pantherslair

I still don't understand some of that. And what is all this Escape Character ^J stuff?

I also don't believe it is impossible to set up my own sub domain, so that when people connect to Teamspeak 3 using that chosen sub domain it will connect them to the server, the same as connecting to it using the other address or the IP Address. Those addresses ONLY work if connecting to Teamspeak 3. They do not work as normal URL's in a web browser.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi again

the Escape Character ^J would be used in a terminal session to disconnect from that IP if it was connected.
http://37.187.223.174:10247/ by itself does not connect....

can you please check the server config on your side.

thanks
sandy

sproskin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi. Is your teamspeak server hosted at 104.156.232.57?

If so, it appears that you have it set up well so far. I can connect using ts3.freets3.net. You shouldn't need to append the port at the end. Are you running other services on 104.156.232.57 which teamspeak would conflict with?

pantherslair

As you guys can see from the screenshot below, I can connect to Teamspeak 3 quite fine with the IP Address. I can also connect to the same Teamspeak 3 server using the address as outlined above: ts14.freets3.net:10247

The PORT Number of 10247, SPECIFICALLY IDENTIFIES MY Teamspeak 3 Address. But I don't want users, using either of those addresses to connect to it, unless I absolutely have too and have no other choice. I want users to connect to it, by entering and using MY chosen Sub-Domain of:

ts3.pantherslair.net

OR

ts3.pantherslair.net:10247

So with that said, what do I have to do in my ZoneEdit Account Settings of that Sub-Domain to make that happen?

Attachments

• ts3.jpg
    ts3.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 2

sproskin

Administrator
Staff member
If you only have one public IP on the server, I can't think of a way to do that. DNS is a simple name to number (IP) resolver. If you have two IPs on the server, you can point each subdomain to each of the IP-addresses and run both servers on the default port on each IP.
one.example.com -> 127.0.0.1 (server: 127.0.0.1:25565)
two.example.com -> 127.0.0.2 (server: 127.0.0.2:25565)

I'm almost wondering if you could do an IPv6 tunnel to one of the servers, effectively giving it a different IP. I've seen people use things like that to avoid region locks on their streaming services like Netflix.

pantherslair

Well the only other suggestion I have to allow my chosen Sub-Domain to work, would be to make a tiny request of ZoneEdit, in setting up a handful of free Teamspeak 3 Servers, so that members could use them. Then I will be able to edit the configuration settings, so that my Sub-Domain will work and I can get rid of this current one. So long as I am assigned a port address, I can finally make this work. It wouldn't cost you guys anything to set up, or put any strain on your system setting up some FREE TS3 Servers. Would you guys be willing to do that as an added functionality to your service and to our accounts please?

PS. I would be happy to put some banners within my Teamspeak Server promoting/advertising ZoneEdit as a "sponsor", if you guys could set some up.

Last edited: