ns9 and ns13 return previously recorded IP "A" record for dynamic dns

gigel

I have a linux script that calls curl to open the update URL whenever my external IP address change.
The script also updates three other A records in the same domain.
Out of the total four records, one of them is always NOT changed when querying the zoneedit ns servers.

I update like this:

/usr/bin/curl -k --interface $PPP_IFACE -u user: password https://dynamic.zoneedit.com/auth/dynamic.html?host=$hostname

PPP_IFACE is the name of the interface raised by the pppd process

To verify that I am doing things right, I am also logging the server response, like this:

/usr/bin/logger "$(echo curl:; until /usr/bin/curl -k --interface $PPP_IFACE -u user: pass https://dynamic.zoneedit.com/auth/dynamic.html?host=$hostname; do sleep 600; done)

as I said I have four hosts to update and my logs show that all four get the same IP:
`Feb 3 00:33:41 homerouter logger: curl:#012<SUCCESS CODE="200" TEXT="mydomain.ro updated to 5.12.18X.XX" ZONE="mydomain.ro">
Feb 3 00:33:42 homerouter logger: curl:#012<SUCCESS CODE="200" TEXT="XXX.mydomain.ro updated to 5.12.18X.XX" ZONE="XXX.mydomain.ro">
Feb 3 00:33:43 homerouter logger: curl:#012<SUCCESS CODE="200" TEXT="XXXXXXXX.mydomain.ro updated to 5.12.18X.XX" ZONE="XXXXXXXX.mydomain.ro">
Feb 3 00:33:44 homerouter logger: curl:#012<SUCCESS CODE="200" TEXT="www.mydomain.ro updated to 5.12.18X.XX" ZONE="www.mydomain.ro">`

However, when querying the nameservers, "XXX" always gets some old IP and not the one that is mentioned in response logged. Precisely, it is exactly the IP that was ok BEFORE the pppd reconnect, and that IP was correctly updated on the other three records.

I query like this:

#dig @ns13.zoneedit.com XXX.mydomain.ro a

I'll add an intriguing note that in my user control panel all four host records show up as expected with same IP address. Querying the record in question from a "looking-glass"-type system from another country also shows the same old IP.

I don't know for how long is this happening but surely isn't a one or two day old issue, but rather something like more than a week.

Last edited:

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there

can you please try to dynamically update only the root domain name and to enable wildcard dynamic updates and let me know if that takes care of it.
sometimes if we receive dynamic updates in too quick a succession the zone is not over written properly.. as we receive an update while the zone is reloading.

thanks
sandy

gigel

[...]
sometimes if we receive dynamic updates in too quick a succession the zone is not over written properly.. as we receive an update while the zone is reloading.

I will try that, thanks! Would it make any sense to insert a sleep timer between two host updates? Would a one minute delay be enough? if not, what should the minimum be set to?