Need help please: No longer have a Static IP and now have a Dynamic IP...

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
as far as the DNS is concerned its working.. what happens on that IP address is on the server side... our goal is to point the host records to the proper dynamic IP addresses.

thanks
sandy

pantherslair

What do you mean on the server side? And what about the port forwarding entered into the modem for my server machine? Was that Javascript page supposed to be run from the server machine or doesnt it matter what machine it runs from? Why is the site not showing up when I enter the address?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
the port forwarding .. those were standard web ports so no port forwarding is really involved ... on the server sire I mean the web server you would be running on that machine.
The dynamic updates would come from the same machine that you are running your web server on.

sandy

pantherslair

Sorry Sandy. I am still trying to understand some of this. I never had this problem when I had a static connection. And I still do not understand what I am supposed to do so the website shows up. If I can't get it to work, then I will be forced to switch it back to URL redirect. At least with that, the site will show up, even if it is coming from a homepage folder with a crappy long address.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
I am sorry for the confusion.. all I can help with is the ddns portion... that is getting the proper dynamic IP addresses associated with their respective host records. You may want to consult the web server documentation you have
as that aspect of this concern is beyond the scope of our services..

thanks
sandy

pantherslair

Web Server Documentation? It is an XP machine with Windows IIS running, giving me an "inetpub" folder which contains a "wwwroot" folder that the site is located in. Ports have been forwarded on the modem for both Port 80 and Port 8080. Is the Port number supposed to be entered into the ZoneEdit record? That is what I have been told needs to happen.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
if that's the right IP then there's really not much more we can help with..., a 404 would mean theres not an appropriate file found on the webserver, like it's missing an index.html or other such thing

port 80 and 8080 are standard web ports and as such no port forwarding is required.

pantherslair

I get no 404, just "The page cannot be found". The index.htm page is not missing, and if the port forwarding is not required, then I am totally at a lost as to why it isn't working. All I can do is say thank you for your time, revert everything back to URL Redirection and put this whole excercise down as a waste of exerted energy and time with a website that simply refuses to show up. I give up. *shrugs*

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
the 404 error comes from:

wget pantherslair.net
--2016-06-23 14:52:37-- http://pantherslair.net/
Resolving pantherslair.net (pantherslair.net)... 58.173.170.77
Connecting to pantherslair.net (pantherslair.net)|58.173.170.77|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Object Not Found
2016-06-23 14:52:37 ERROR 404: Object Not Found.

thanks
sandy

matt123

Hi Sandy

I was having the same issue with the grey box for "last response" showing the same empty value when using the "Javascript Dynamic DNS Client for ZoneEdit"

However I followed your instructions and I can see the IP addresses being logged on the Dynamic Records page

Thanks!