Need help please: No longer have a Static IP and now have a Dynamic IP...

pantherslair

I need some help please guys. My last ISP (TPG Australia) had Static IP's as default at no charge. I have moved house and this new place has a Dynamic IP (Telstra High Speed Cable). I tried asking them to switch the dynamic to static but they wanna charge me $10 per month to switch from dynamic to static; something I am not prepared to pay for.

So if my website is running off my server machine (Windows XP with IIS - inetpub and wwwroot folder) and I have set up all the Port Forwarding in the Modem/Router for both Port 80 and Port 8080 (TCP and UDP), how can I get this working without having to use URL Redirect or Stealth Forward and set it up so I can still use A Name with an IP Address and include those ports?

I have been told I need to talk to both Zoneedit and / or My Domain Register, to set it up so the ports can be included with the Dynamic IP address, and then the site will be able to work like it did before on the server when it had a Static IP Connection. I appreciate any help. Cheers.

Robbie C.
www.pantherslair.net
Australia

pantherslair

I followed those instructions but do not see any message in the "Last Response". There was no "OK" and no error message. I am really unsure of what I am doing to know if this is working. ~Confused~

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
can you send in a screen shot of the current config on the dynamic device you are using.

thanks
sandy

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
ok change that hostname to be only pantherslair.net and enable wildcards and let me know when complete.

sandy

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
is :
dig @ns8.zoneedit.com a pantherslair.net

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> @ns8.zoneedit.com a pantherslair.net
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 53866
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;pantherslair.net. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
pantherslair.net. 600 IN A 58.173.170.77

the current IP?

thanks
sandy

pantherslair

58.173.170.77 (Telstra Cable - Dynamic IP)

Modem router screenshot below...

Attachments

• port_forwarding.jpg
    port_forwarding.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 2

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
ok so at present we are pointing the host records to the proper IP address.

did you enter that IP manually on your zoneedit members page?

sandy

pantherslair

I believe so. You are welcome to log in and take a look for yourself to make sure I entered everything correctly. If I have not entered everything correctly, then this could be a good lesson to learn from that mistake as well as getting it working for future reference...

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
sorry not sure here... the IP 58.173.170.77 did you login to your zoneedit members page, click the dns settings link and manually enter that IP into the DDNS record section..

sandy

pantherslair

So what is entered incorrectly? How do we fix this or do I have to resort to URL Redirection? I don't want URL Redirection....

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
sorry I am still not sure what your answer is...... did you enter the IP addresses manually or not in the ddns section on your zoneedit members page?

sandy

pantherslair

Sorry I am getting confused. I would prefer you log in and check. I have so many windows open and have tried so many things, I am not sure what mistakes has been made.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Login where?

I see on your zoneedit members page that the DDNS records show an IP of 58.173.170.77... if you did not login at cp.zoneedit.com, click the DNS link, click to edit the DDNS records, manually enter the IP addresses and then confirm the record changes then the DDNS client you are using on your home machine has worked. :)

thanks
sandy

pantherslair

um Ok I am still confused though. The "Javascript Dynamic DNS Client for ZoneEdit" page still shows no "OK" message and when I type in my web address of www.pantherslair.net, nothing shows up. But you are saying it is all working? ~confused~