Legacy Free Zone limitations?

Dan Harper

Hi

I have had a free zone for several years, 10.ca
I recently tried to add and remove mailmaps but the changes don't seem to be taking effect.
Is there a limitation for legacy free accounts? There are currently 13 mailmaps, I previously had 15.
How long does it take for changes to take effect? It's been about 2 hours since I made them.

Thanks for the great service.

Dan

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there
legacy free zones should have access to 100 mail maps at present. What happens when you
try to create additional mail maps?

thanks
sandy

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
and... new mail maps should kick in almost immediately after creation.

sandy

Dan Harper

I had added 1 map to catch mail from an IP camera. That seems to be working now but took several hours.
I also added the * "catch-all" address. This is not working.
I get the following message:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

test@10.ca

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain 10.ca by mx-caprica.zoneedit.com. [166.88.18.34].

The error that the other server returned was:
550 5.1.1 <test@10.ca>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
can you pleas try testing that email address and sending to it from a different email address then the gmail address that it is forwarding to.

thanks
sandy

Dan Harper

Strange. It's fine now.
I had sent from a different email account before and got the same result.
It's still undeliverable when sent from the same account that is supposed to receive it. That's ok.
I tried sending from my work account, an exchange server , and got the following:

'newmail@10.ca'
The recipient's e-mail address was not found in the recipient's e-mail system. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please check the e-mail address and try resending this message, or provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.

The following organization rejected your message: mailfwd2.zoneedit.com.

3 minutes later I tried exactly the same thing and the email went through correctly.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
perhaps exchange had an initial problem with the wildcrd entry...

happy to hear that its working now. With Gmail.. when ending from the email address forwarded to Gmail can put them in a loop
and they wont be received.

thanks
sandy

Dan Harper

I can understand the gmail loop but yesterday I couldn't receive email from Dlink to verify an account.
It's working fine now and the "*" map should take care of any future lags in mailmap activation.

Thanks

Dan Harper

It's not working again this morning.
I can receive emails to accounts that existed before I edited anything but the new one and "*" are not receiving anything.
I either get an undelivered message or nothing at all.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
what is the new address and what wildcard email address are you testing from so I can try to dig out the logs.

as well.. just to be sure... are you trying to send from these email addresses based on your domain name?

thanks
sandy

Dan Harper

The new address is webcam@10.ca
I have tried sending to this address from a Gmail account and from D-Link's email confirmation.
I just tried again from my employers exchange server.

The wildcard address was newmail@10.ca
Did not work from the exchange email address.
Tried testmail@10.ca from the exchange email address and it worked.

Last edited:

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
there appears to be a new issue with sending to mail mapped addresses from Gmail. Our systems folks are looking into this.

thanks
sandy

Dwight Walker

I also found only personal and academic usage of free zone DNS is permitted. I am a small business so don't qualify. Before I could have free zones even though I was a small business. Why don't you add small business too with small turnover? I have not created a free DNS zone as I am a small business. I will find another way or not use that domain. I was only going to redirect the domain to my main site.

I am guessing the one domain I have up on Zone Edit I can no longer use unless I pay for credits since it is for business. Is that so? Or is that one domain exempt. I use the domain for connecting to a server using a dynamic DNS for my business when I am using VMWare etc when the customer won't pay for their own hardware and I have to use my own via a DDNS over the internet to complete the job.

Last edited:

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Dwight

10.ca is using free dns now and as a legacy account holder you can ad 4 more free zones via the add a domain link.

what problems is the domain having?

sandy

Dwight Walker

I used smartyhost.com.au domain forwarding in end for 2 domains so did not use zoneedit.com free zones. I guess I just press the button and let things flow re the personal/academic free zone registration. Redtape.

Dwight Walker

Redtape means if I agree with the new Zone Edit terms and conditions re registering a free zone (legacy from old Zone Edit days), if I am not using the free zone for personal and academic I must pay a credit. That was not there before. I could use the free zone for business but not any more. Things change when companies are bought by other companies. Redtape means bylaws to adhere to. If it becomes worth it I will pay a credit and use it for business.

What's the story with existing businesses using free zones from legacy? Must they pay the credit before they use it for business under new owners? This is a grey area. I am making no money at present as business is pretty bad so technically there is no business just testing my new ADSL router using DDNS on my free zone's record with ez-ipupdate on FreeBSD.

I don't know 10.ca. Is it a business or non-profit?