How to correctly set up SPF when using ZoneOut?

dma0

Hi there. Just trying to get SPF working for e-mails sent from my domain through ZoneEdit's ZoneOut e-mail service. I've been sending test e-mails to https://www.appmaildev.com/ to test if I've set up the TXT record correctly. After quite a bit of trial and error, the only configuration that seems to result in a pass is:

Code:
v=spf1 mx ip4:64.68.198.61 ~all

The IP address in question is what mailout.zoneedit.com resolves do. Just wanted to confirm that this is best format for the SPF entry in my domain name record. I've attempted other approaches (e.g. include:mailout.zoneedit.com, include:zoneedit.com, include:_spf.zoneedit.com (which I don't think resolves), mx:mailout.zoneedit.com and mx:zoneedit.com) all of which resulted in fails. I guess my only concern is if mailout.zoneedit.com is updated at some point in the future to point to a different IP address.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be most appreciated.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I was going to open a ticket to ask about this, but can't seem to login to support.zoneedit.com, using either my ZoneEdit control panel e-mail and password, or the e-mail and password I use to login to these forums. Clicking on forgot password and inputting my e-mail address for either account doesn't get me a reset e-mail (and I've also checked my spam filter). Any suggestions on that front would also be appreciated.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there
please try:

v=spf1 include:spf.zoneedit.com ~all

have you contacted support before via the Get Support link on your zoneedit account?

regards.

dma0

Awesome - thanks Sandy - that's exactly what I was looking for. I had tried searching the knowledgebase and forums but wasn't able to find anything.

As for contacting support, I do recall getting support many years ago, but think it was through e-mail - I don't recall accessing the support portal. The portal thing was a bit frustrating as I was already logged in to my ZoneEdit account, and there didn't seem to be any way to actually register - either login or password reset, neither of which worked for me.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
can you please try the Get Support option and add Attn Sandy in the subject line and we'll se if we can get you set up on it... that said.. it basically acts as a repository for your support emails the same way your email client would do. :)

regards.

dma0

can you please try the Get Support option and add Attn Sandy in the subject line and we'll se if we can get you set up on it... that said.. it basically acts as a repository for your support emails the same way your email client would do. :)

regards.
Hey thanks for the follow-up on the support thing. Just tried it again, though on a different PC, and this time no login prompt - just took me straight to the support request, so apparently whatever the issue was has gone away. Will try it later from the other PC I was using when I experienced the issue.

dma0

Hey just to confirm, no longer experiencing the problem on the other PC either, so I guess something got updated on your end? Anyway, appreciate all the help Sandy - thanks again. Now if I could only get that bloody DKIM working...