How do I use the gmail web client with hosted email (custom domain)?

Mark Hahn

I have been using the free service from google (now called workspace) for years. I only used this so I could have a custom domain. Recently they announced they will charge us. They bugged me with emails often enough that I gave in and signed up for the business account. Then one hour (!) after I signed up I read news that they gave in and are allowing the free accounts to continue. I couldn't get my free account back. I am extremely extremely extremely pi**ed off.

Can I use a pop or imap service and access it with the gmail web client? Would I be able to use all features like I do now? I don't mind paying.

alann

Can I use a pop or imap service and access it with the gmail web client? Would I be able to use all features like I do now? I don't mind paying.
Mark, as El. said, you can find what you need at EasyDNS through their EasyMail service. https://easydns.com/email/easymail-hosted-imap/
I use it and recommend it. Your domain name will have solid and reliable DNS service. Plus, you'll have mail hosted there with mail accounts that you can access via virtually any mail client on your computer, phone or using external webmail services or EasyDNS's own hosted webmail. With their own webmail, you may choose to use RoundCube, Horde, or both.

Personally, I would never use Gmail for my primary mail account. I don't like that they scan all your messages in order to sell your data and target ads to you. That's a huge security risk, allowing a mail service to scan the content of your messages.

isabellatipa

I understand your frustration with the recent changes in Google's services. If you want to use your custom domain with email services, lead enrichment and are considering alternatives, you can indeed use POP or IMAP services with the Gmail web client. Here's how you can set it up:

1. Use Another Email Provider:
    • Choose an email hosting provider that supports custom domains. Some popular options include Zoho Mail, ProtonMail, FastMail, and others.
    • Sign up for an account and follow their instructions for setting up a custom domain.
  2. Configure POP or IMAP:
    • After setting up your email hosting, configure the email account using either POP or IMAP.
    • Obtain the incoming and outgoing server settings from your email hosting provider.
    • In Gmail, go to Settings > See all settings > Accounts and Import > Check mail from other accounts.
    • Add your custom domain email account and provide the necessary server details.
  3. Accessing via Gmail Web Client:
    • Once the account is set up, you can access your custom domain email using the Gmail web client.
    • Emails will be fetched from the external server, and you can use Gmail's interface to read, send, and manage your emails.
  4. Feature Compatibility:
    • While basic email functionality will work seamlessly, some advanced features like labels and filters may have some limitations.
    • It's essential to check with your chosen email hosting provider to understand the specific features and compatibility with Gmail.