Help with ZoneEdit and iCloud Custom Domain

Mussol

Hi all.

I am trying to use my own domains with the new Apple’s iCloud Custom Domain email service. But after many tries I only get error messages from the iCloud panel. Basically “Check the DKIM Record”.

I post below the records I am supposed to create (using example.com as the domain, but I amentering with my own domain, indeed). And here are the questions:

1. MX records: should I insert a trailing dot “.” at the end? I am not doing this as I ever did it before with ZoneEdit with my other email servers and they work.

2. SPF (TXT) Recrod: should I use the quotes at the beginning and end of text, or not needed for ZoneEdit?

3. For all MX and TXT records: can I use @ as the host name, or should I insert examp0le.com instead? I am currently using @ and it seems to work for my other records in other domains.

DKIM (CNAME) Record: well, this is the real problem, or one of them. When I try to use a CNAME record, it tells me that the targe taddress is not valid. When I use a TXT record as an alternative, I get an error messabge from iCloud. When I use the DKIM record in the ZoneEdit Control Panel… I have no idea what to do with the info provided by Apple….

Has anybody succeeded with iCloud Custom Domain and ZoneEdit? Can anybody help me with the set up?

Here is the Apple-provided info:

TXT:

SPF:

MX:
TypeMX
Host@
Priority10
Valuemx01.mail.icloud.com.

MX:
TypeMX
Host@
Priority10
Valuemx02.mail.icloud.com.

DKIM:

Note: If your registrar does not support “@”, enter your domain name as the host. Make sure to include the full stop at the end of the MX and DKIM values. Start by including the full stop at the end of the MX and DKIM values and quotes in the SPF TXT record. If it fails, try entering the values without the quotes or without the ending punctuation.

Thanks in advance

Mussol

zeadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

What is your domain name and I can take a look at the config and correct any issues for you.

zeadmin

Administrator
Staff member
1. MX records: should I insert a trailing dot “.” at the end? I am not doing this as I ever did it before with ZoneEdit with my other email servers and they work.

No trailing dot after the MX record entry.

2. SPF (TXT) Recrod: should I use the quotes at the beginning and end of text, or not needed for ZoneEdit?

You can copy and paste the exact SPF record with the quotes or without.

3. For all MX and TXT records: can I use @ as the host name, or should I insert examp0le.com instead? I am currently using @ and it seems to work for my other records in other domains.

The MX will be for the root @, the TXT are for the root @ also.
The DKIM specifies the host as

sig1._domainkey
and the value sig1.dkim.abril-ruiz.cat.at.icloudmailadmin.com. needs to end with a period.

Mussol

Hello,

What is your domain name and I can take a look at the config and correct any issues for you.
My domain name is abril-ruiz.cat

I switched nameservers to different providers during the day, to try whehter it worked. It is back to ZoneEdit and hopefully already propagated.

Mussol

zeadmin

Administrator
Staff member
The name servers have not yet been updated:

;abril-ruiz.cat. IN NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:

abril-ruiz.cat. 600 IN NS ns2.entornodns.com.

abril-ruiz.cat. 600 IN NS ns1.entornodns.com.

Mussol

IOOPS, OK, I think now is fixed. I had some trouble with the Registrar itnerface, and then I had switched to the namservers I used before: ns3.zoneedit.com and ns18.zoneedit.com. Now they are the two you proposed.

Thanks a lot for the help you are providing ;-)

Mussol

IOOPS, OK, I think now is fixed. I had some trouble with the Registrar itnerface, and then I had switched to the namservers I used before: ns3.zoneedit.com and ns18.zoneedit.com. Now they are the two you proposed.

Thanks a lot for the help you are providing ;-)

Hmmm, it still fails. I tried the following:

* DKIM Recofrd in the control panel, standard settings, with the host in the Selector fi8eld, and no changes in the pop-up menus. Failed
* DKIM Record in advanced settngs. Failed.
* CNAME Record, as this is the type according to Apple’s instructions. Cannot complete it, as it says “Invalid Host“.

So I reverted to DKIM, advanced settings. Which produces a TXTtype record. IN all cases I kept the trainling dot at the end of the “value”. When I say it failed, I mean that I could not finalize the configuration in iCloud as I had a “check your DKIMsettings” warning.

I hope you’ll be able to have a look now that the servers are OK ;-)

Amadeu

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hello Amadeu,

Our system checks the CNAME hostname you enter to see if it resolves correctly. Your iCloud service won't activate without this record in place, so the hostname doesn't initially resolve. The dashboard only warns you that it is invalid (it doesn't resolve). It doesn't stop you from clicking "confirm" to save the entry. Once that entry is in place, you go back and have iCloud check again, and it should see the record exists and activate your service (which in turn causes that hostname to resolve).

I switched your TXT record entry back into the CNAME record as it should be based on the original instructions from your first post.

Mussol

OMG, so I was too shy with the waring, and I just had to move forward ;-)

Now it works perfectly with iCloud. Thanks a lot. I hope I will be now able to configure other domains this way!

Mussol