Help with A/CNAME

HockeyCoachBen

Hello!

I'm not very strong on all of the technical terms but was hoping someone could help. I set-up a free zone to use for my DDNS/VPN on my home router. I set-up the zone using a subdomain of a domain address that I own (so home.mydomain.com). My host/registrar only allows me to forward the home.mydomain.com to ZoneEdit via A or CNAME entries.

So, simply put, do I do the entry as CNAME using dns1.zoneedit.com which was assigned to me? Will that work? Or do I need the actual IP address in an A record?

Thanks so much!

Mark Jeftovic (#fb)

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ben, so a couple of things:

1) the domain name needs to be delegated to our nameservers (use dns1.zoneedit.com and dns2.zoneedit.com) - right now they are on some other nameservers so that will have to change before this will work.

2) in your case you are using dyndns so the record type you will actually be using here is called "DYN" (under the hood it'll get converted into a A entry).

But the important thing is that you don't enter these into your DNS manager at your current registrar, I'm guessing the entire reason you're with Zoneedit for this is the dynamic DNS which your router is configured to use Zoneedit for. (So this is what #1 above is about).

See this video about configuring your account for dynamic DNS:

https://cp.zoneedit.com/support/getting_started/#setup_dyn_dns

Mark Jeftovic (#fb)

Administrator
Staff member
Also... you've added your domain "home.yourdomain.com", I would delete that, re-add it as "yourdomain.com", then setup the DYN record as home.yourdomain.com

(Because I would be surprised if your registrar let you do a subdomain delegation from there to here for home.yourdomain.com, which is how you have it now).