Google Authenticator 2FA set up but receiving email access codes

Avalanchee

Recently I've been receiving OTP emails despite having OTP app set up as my 2FA.
I have an ACL which is exempt from 2FA requirement (it's an IP address where certbot is logging in programmatically from) - and it worked great for over a year.
Now I'm receiving OTP emails on every login - whether from within the ACL or from outside.
When I remove the flag "Enabled For: Only access attempts outside the ACL" - I'm being asked for an OTP code rather than email (as expected).

I tried removing 2FA entirely and setting it up again - same result.

Please assist, thanks.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
can you please try again and be sure to use all lower case on the user ID.

Avalanchee

Thanks Sandy,
I've changed the username to lowercase in both my password manager and script.

The situation hasn't changed much - currently from within the ACL I am able to login without OTP (however, strangely - only from one specific browser).
From other browsers inside the ACL and from outside the ACL - I am still getting the email code prompt.
In the bottom of the prompt I see a checkbox (which I'm not sure was there before): "Extend device expiry to 30 days instead of 7."
If I enter the code from the email, it seems that the browser no longer requires OTP for the next logins.
I consider it a security downgrade for devices outside the ACL compared to the previous behavior (OTP request for every login).

Please advise,
Thanks.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
can you contact us on this via the Get Support link on your members page? oh sorry, just noticed yours is a free account.... This will be looked into soon. regards

Avalanchee

I noticed that even with OTP disabled I'm getting token requests to approve the browser.
Is this by design?
Can you please recommend a good approach to handle automatic certbot renewals via TXT records? as there is no API, we have to resort to login via shell scripts using curl.
Thanks.

Avalanchee

I'll try to give an answer within a few days.
And yea I don't really need the ACL except for certbot so it could be a good solution.

Avalanchee

Hey Sandy,
I can confirm the solution works like a charm!
It's a warm feeling being able to replace a whole script with a single curl command :)

I'm only curious how to make use of "auth tokens" to perform the API call instead of basic authentication with my ZoneEdit credentials?
I did generate a token under domain management => "Enable DYN auth tokens", but I'm not sure where to put it.

Thanks!

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried entering the DYN auth code instead of the account password where its been used now?

regards

Avalanchee

I tried instead of user, didn't think the password field would work...
But tested it now and it's working great.

Thank you again, I really appreciate all the help!