getting rid of Dreamhost hosting

toddy333

I have been paying for Dreamhost hosting for years but don't need to host a website anymore. However I am still stuck with the hosting cost because I want to keep my unique domain name email account.

Dreamhost has been pointing my unique email account to gmail for email management which I am OK with. In the past when I forgot to pay for my hosting with Dreamhost my gmail account went down with my hosting until I paid them their money. Note: I have registered my domain name with Dreamhost and pay them yearly to keep it alive.

Because I do not need to pay for hosting at this time, is there a way I can use ZoneEdit as a way for me to bypass having to pay for hosting and to keep my unique domain name email account with gmail?

With my limited research on the matter I have found that I need to get my domain registrar to point my domain to ZoneEdit's nameservers. Then have ZoneEdit point my MX records to google. But I have no idea how to begin this process since Dreamhost is the one I bought the domain name from. Then I am not sure all the other steps involved as well.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Paul

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there

when you say unique domain name email account.... is this an email amount that you can send and receive from? or receive only.
thanks
sandy

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
I am sorry, at present we offer mail forwarding only ( mail maps) but soon hope to offer fully qualifies send and receive email addresses.

thanks
sandy

toddy333

I will be happy to just get mail forwarding. I can reply to the emails that are sent to me via this email address via another email address (Yahoo account email address). Are there any free or low cost services out there that can do both incoming and outgoing email? If not, can you help me set this up?

Thanks!

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
sure

you can open an account at cp.zoneedit.com and once the domain is added you can set the dns and mail maps.
We have a nice help video here:
https://support.zoneedit.com/Knowle...te-email-forwarders--mail-maps-at-your-domain

Once that hs been set up.. including adding any other zone file records you need.. lke pointing the domain name to its web host..
it would then be safe to delegate zoneedit nameservers to the domain name
dns1.zoneedit.com, dns2,zoneedit.com

and soryy no.. I do not know of any free domain name email services.

thanks
sandy

toddy333

So I did the steps in the video. On the ZoneEdit status it says "Domain Parked! Have the DNS Settings Been Entered?".

So now I need to enter the ZoneEdit nameservers at DreamHost where I purchased the domain name and hosting? Then I can terminate the hosting without any issues with me receiving emails? Am I missing anything?

How do I add other zone file records and how do I point the domain name to its web host? Can you be a little more specific? Sorry, I am a newbie.

Thanks,
Paul