Forced to paid service from free service, requesting downgrade.

Bunklung

I was recently forced to the paid service, like two days ago. Unbeknownst to me there is some sort of IP check to my website. I delisted my blog off Google and deleted the offending code/directory that was being queried.

I am disappointed to find out I wasn't given a warning about this move as my monthly usage has been very high for months, not just last month. So it exceeded this limit I was unaware of for months, not just 1 month.

Having said that, I have not purchased any credits which makes me think DNS will be turned off, but at the same time I do not see any option to "downgrade".

https://support.zoneedit.com/index....how-to-downgrade-a-paid-domain-to-free-domain

Does anyone have the URL for the .php for downgrading? I suspect it's something like:

https://cp.zoneedit.com/manage/domains/service/downgrade.php

This is only a guess since this option is missing. Are there any paid users who have this php URL?

Thanks.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
I will need to look into this. I have changed the expiration date on the domain to 15-Mar-2016 for now

I will get back when I have a solution

thanks
sandy

Bunklung

Down to about 17k hits per day, down from about 42k. I just exceeded the 1M threshold by 1,780! This should continue to shrink over time. So yeah, the projection is about 500k hits per month @ 17k per day which is well within 1M limit.

Have you made any progress on switching back to freedns as I still don't see this option. Thanks.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
If you change the TTL from 2 hours to three or more that would help limiting the DNS query counts.
For paid to free... i can actually do this for you. please send an email to access@zoneedit.com and add attn sandy in the subject line. I can then authenticate the request and make the changes for you.

thanks
sandy

Bunklung

Thank you for your help this far. I am back to free dns. What TTL should I change? The main A record or the SOA?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
default SOA settings are 1 week and three hours ( TTL)

thanks'
sandy

Bunklung

Is that a new default as both of my domains are listed as 2 week and 2 hours. I changed it to three hours in the hopes that will also lower the DNS query counts. I feel pretty safe at this point, but I wanted to tweak it the right way. What about A records? Will changing the TTL effect the DNS query counts?

Thanks again.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
oh I am sorry.... two weeks and two hours seems to be the new default setting s I can see that in several newly added domains.

the higher the TTL the lower the DNS query counts.

thanks
sandy