Email not forwarding if sent from forwarding address?

Sam Mullis

I'm seeing a strange issue with email forwarding and I wonder if others have seen it. I have a mailmap set up to forward email to a specific email address, say "myemail@gmail.com". When I send email from that account to the forwarded email, I never see the email arrive to my gmail inbox. I've looked in "All Mail" to be sure, but its simply not coming in (and I've waited > 12 hours at this point). If I send email to the forwarded domain from a different email address, even from other gmail accounts, I always seem to get them.

Is there a filter that keeps the messages from being forwarded if they are coming from the forwarding address?

Now that I know this only seems to affect the forwarding address, it isn't a huge concern, just wondering why it is happening.

Thanks for any help!
Sam

Sam Mullis

Well, I may have spoken too soon. It looks like it is hit or miss as to whether the message gets to the forwarding address even if sent from another address (again, checked "All Mail" to be sure it wasn't hidden away somewhere). As an experiment, I added a comma separated second (non-gmail) address to the forwarding list, and that address seems to get everything, even if sent from that address. It looks like perhaps something on the gmail side, but I'm not getting a bounce or anything. Anyone else seen this behavior?

Thanks again,
Sam

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
are you sending from the gmail address that you are forwarding to?

sandy

Sam Mullis

Trying both from that address and not from that address - when I try from that address, it definitely looks like it never arrives. When I try from other addresses, it usually does work.

Thanks again!
Sam

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
with google if you are sending from the gmail address you are forwarding too google puts these in a loop and they would not be received.. its a known issue with forwarding to gmail addresses.

sandy

Sam Mullis

Thanks for that information! And my apologies if that was posted here before - I did a search in this forum and looked at several other threads, but none seemed to explicitly cover that case.

Once again, thank you very much for the time and help!
Sam

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
oh no worries.. It may be on the forum already but what I meant was that its a know issue with gmail forwarding itself... not a know issue on the forum :)

thanks
sandy