Easy Mail - Plus (+) Address support ?

westofsa

Google have recently announced that they are discontinuing their legacy (free) Workspaces accounts which they had grandfathered early adopters onto. One of the nice features that they support is the ability to do + addressing, where you can use your emailaddress+alias@domain.xxx to easily use aliases and have them delivered to your primary inbox without needing to add them first. I am weighing out my options as far as migrating to a new platform goes, so would like to know if this is something that is supported on EasyMail or not. Thanks

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there.

easyMAIL is available at easyDNS.com only ... and yes it will work with any email client.

regards.

westofsa

Hi Sandy.. I realize that EasyMail is only available at easyDNS. The question was specific to the (+) addressing feature supported by some Mail Server Platforms, not the email client. I will contact EasyDNS.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again, I have had time to investigate and that feature is not supported with easyMAIL at easyDNS.

regards.

alann

Google have recently announced that they are discontinuing their legacy (free) Workspaces accounts which they had grandfathered early adopters onto. One of the nice features that they support is the ability to do + addressing, where you can use your emailaddress+alias@domain.xxx to easily use aliases and have them delivered to your primary inbox without needing to add them first. I am weighing out my options as far as migrating to a new platform goes, so would like to know if this is something that is supported on EasyMail or not. Thanks
EasyMail enables you to create true email aliases. A true alias, which is a different email address that directs to your primary address, is much superior to subaddressing a.k.a. plus sign (+) trick. A plus sign subaddress doesn't protect your primary address, so it's not a good choice if privacy is your goal. Plus sign subaddresses also aren't universally supported, so some mail systems will strip off the subaddress and use your primary address anyway.

At EasyMail you can create explicit aliases (which they call "mailmaps"). You can also enable a wildcard or "catch all" mailmap, enabling any address @yourdomain.com to forward to you. As these aliases/mailmaps appear to the outside world as normal addresses, they are fully supported by any mail system.

Pierre

Though plus aliases suffer from the limitations described above, they are also more flexible when you need to manage a lot of aliases that share a common pattern. For example, if John and Mary want to create dynamic forwards based on their respective emails, they could write something like the following with only 2 forwards to manage an infinite number of aliases.
  • john+(.*)@example.com --> john+%1@example.ca
  • mary+(.*)@example.com --> mary+%1@example.ca
This is useful when you track how you email addresses are used, and particularly when email databases are hacked.

This can't be achieved presently with the current static mailmaps, can it be? Is there a chance to see such feature added to mailmaps?

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
We have many projects on the go and while it is a good feature & suggestion, it is not on our radar for adding anytime soon.