Dynamic dns question

Leif Strom

Hello

I have added a domain to my account and trying to set up a dynamic dns and done as the video for dynamic dns says, but it only works sporadically. The domain name registers in my account with correct ip and ns, but when it fails, the browser says it cannot find that dns address.

I have also set my router to Zoneedit. Is there something more to do, I have tried everything I can think of.

Thanks,

Leif Strom

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hello Leif,

First, ensure you're not submitting updates within a short time apart (under 10 minutes). If you do, it will fail.

Second, what is the domain name you're using Dynamic DNS with?

Leif Strom

Thanks for the answer.
I have set the js updater to 15, had it on 5, but do I need the updater when my router is set to Zoneedit?
Not sure it works, no response when I start it but it says ON.
Domain is bibeltemplet.se

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
The logs are showing updates being made. The updates do not declare the IP address, so it uses the connection's IP coming in. I've redacted the IP information, but you can see the last two updates, the last set of numbers changed.

Oct 19 03:25:10 dyn02-zpc zoneedit: /var/www/dynamic.zoneed <-@***.***.***.244> Looking up base domain for bibeltemplet.se
Oct 19 03:25:10 dyn02-zpc zoneedit: /var/www/dynamic.zoneed <-@***.***.***.244> Processing request for rsp: zoneedit, hostname: bibeltemplet.se -> host/domain: @/bibeltemplet.se, IP: empty
Oct 19 03:25:10 dyn02-zpc zoneedit: /var/www/dynamic.zoneed <-@***.***.***.244> No client_ip: using remote IP for bibeltemplet.se from ***.***.***.244
Oct 19 03:25:10 dyn02-zpc zoneedit: /var/www/dynamic.zoneed <-@***.***.***.244> bibeltemplet.se already set to ***.***.***.244

Oct 19 18:18:51 dyn02-zpc zoneedit: /var/www/dynamic.zoneed <-@***.***.***.255> Processing request for rsp: zoneedit, hostname: bibeltemplet.se -> host/domain: @/bibeltemplet.se, IP: empty
Oct 19 18:18:51 dyn02-zpc zoneedit: /var/www/dynamic.zoneed <-@***.***.***.255> No client_ip: using remote IP for bibeltemplet.se from ***.***.***.255
Oct 19 18:18:51 dyn02-zpc zoneedit: /var/www/dynamic.zoneed <-@***.***.***.255> setting bibeltemplet.se to ***.***.***.255

Leif Strom

It worked with the 18:18 update, but that was after almost 15 hours after the change of ip. Is that normal?
To test the dns I restarted my router to get a new ip, but still several hours after that the control panel shows the old ip.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Are you leaving the JS updater window open or closing it? I believe it needs to be left open, or it won't run the updates.

I can't speak for whether the router is an issue since I don't know which client is connecting to do the updates. The logs are not so specific with the client that's connecting.

Leif Strom

Perhaps I was unclear. I restarted my router to get a new ip, but after even more hours now, the Zoneedit control panel hasn't registered the new ip.
So now I have turned off the JS updater, to see if my router sends the new ip to your dns. It is set to Zoneedit with username and password, so there must be some communication.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Thank you for the clarification, Lief.

To ensure I don't misunderstand, are you using your Zoneedit Username and Password or your Zoneedit Username and Dynamic Authentication Token in your Dynamic DNS Settings within your router? That makes a difference. You must use the DYN Token to authenticate when updating Dynamic DNS.

Leif Strom

I changed to the DYN Token both in the updater and my router, but after several hours it still does not work.
I have tried every possible setting I can think of. Yesterday it at least worked one time, but now seems like it has gone stuck completely.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
The only connections showing in the logs today are:

Oct 20 00:53:24 dyn02-zpc zoneedit: /var/www/dynamic.zoneed <-@90.232.18.115> setting bibeltemplet.se to 90.232.18.115

Oct 20 14:32:40 dyn02-zpc zoneedit: /var/www/dynamic.zoneed <-@90.232.18.115> bibeltemplet.se already set to 90.232.18.115

One to set the IP, the other trying to update with the same IP, so it was ignored.