Dynamic DNS failure

Arthur Daley

Hi
I am getting dynamic DNS failures.

For example, here is a ZoneEdit success response to my DDNS client, DynamicUpdate, on Tue, 29 Sep 2015 00:33:23 GMT:
<SUCCESS CODE="200" TEXT="local.zuon.com updated to 92.18.206.99" ZONE="local.zuon.com">

Despite the apparently successful update, the ZoneEdit DNS record was not updated. It is still showing the previous DNS record (as of 01.30hrs GMT on Tues 29th Sept):
local.zuon.com 300 sec 92.19.45.50.

Any ideas how a success code can be generated for a ZoneEdit record, yet the record fail to update? I have had a few of these.
Ta.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there

the current IP is listed as local.zuon.com as 78.148.199.12 wold that be correct?

with dynamic DNS.. when you have multiple dyn records as you do,, , there is a chance that we receive update requests at to frequent intervals.
As we reload the zone another dyn update comes in.. when that happens it is possible that that second dyn update would not be loaded properly... as it arrived while the
zone was reloading. if you can set update frequencies on your DDNS client to be several minutes apart that may help.

Thanks
sandy

Arthur Daley

Hi Sandy,
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
I can confirm that the IP 78.148.199.12 is not correct, even though it shows as the current ZoneEdit record. The record should show 92.18.162.74.
Please see the ZoneEdit response to the update request (below), indicating that the update was successful, even though it failed.
Did you mean that each host should be updated, several minutes apart? Its just that I understand that the DDNS client (DirectUpdate) updates all hosts, one after the other, whenever it detects an IP change. I do not think that it can be set to stagger the updates.
Unfortunately, because a "SUCCESS" ZoneEdit response informs the client that the update was successful, it doesn't send another update request, even though the client is configured to retry again after 20mins, if an update fails. I presume that, if ZoneEdit responded with a failure code, the client would know that there was an error and would, consequently, retry.
Thanks.

ZoneEdit response to the update request (part of):
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 00:04:30 GMT
<SUCCESS CODE="200" TEXT="local.zuon.com updated to 92.18.162.74" ZONE="local.zuon.com">

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi Arthur.

There is a host record... swarth_main4.zuon.com the _ is not allowed in host records so it is restricting the zone from loading properly. Most likely changing the _ to a -
will do the trick.

thanks
Sandy

Arthur Daley

Still not working, I am afraid, despite fixing the underscore in the host name, as advised.
In fact, its getting worse, with other hosts failing in, exactly, the same way. In fact, 75% of the hosts failed to update today.
For example, here is a latest ZoneEdit response, indicating a successful update, but failed:

Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 13:04:34 GMT
<SUCCESS CODE="200" TEXT="lounge.zuon.com updated to 92.19.46.28" ZONE="lounge.zuon.com">

Thanks.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Arthur.
I see what you mean and have escalated this for us.

I will reply again when we have a solution.

thanks
sandy

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again.

This could be be caused by DDNS updated coming too frequently.. as in seconds apart... as we are loading the zone from receiving a DDNS update another DDNS update come in.
As we are reloading when the second DDNS update arrived it can be missed.

Could you change to using the wild card dynamic hosts and only update unique hosts separately.

thanks
sandy