Dynamic DNS configuration in Synology NAS DSM 7 / Dyn DNS return codes

R4d0n

Hi all,

I found a lot of inputs but never a solution, so I start here a new topic.

Synology don't support ZoneEdit anymore since DSM 7 directly (at the moment DSM 7.2-64570 Update 1 on DS923+).
There is an option to add DDNS providers, but with issues.

I found the right Query-URL for ZoneEdit:

First of all, the connection is working. And it seems also to work. But my NAS says "failed" after every update (once a day).
And in the protocol center the NAS writes "*successfully registered*".

I found together with the support of Synology. The answer from update request comes back with this message:
<ERROR CODE="700" TEXT="no update required for my.domain to 8.8.8.8" ZONE="my.domain">

For me it looks like, ZoneEdit send this answer, because the IP was already set to this IP. But the NAS interpret it as a failure.
The Synology support is asking for a current list of return codes and their corresponding meanings from ZoneEdit Dyn DNS service.

Can someone providing this to me?
Probably Synology has to correct its Software.

Thanks,
Tim

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there for Synology: please try

https://<easydnsuser>:<token>@api.cp.easydns.com/dyn/generic.php?hostname=example.com&wildcard=yes&myip=1.1.1.1

and without wildcard

https://<easydnsuser>:<token>@api.cp.easydns.com/dyn/generic.php?hostname=example.com&myip=1.1.1.1

regards.

R4d0n

Hm, I'm not sure why I should try this.
It's working with the link above. I only think Synology interprets the return code wrong.

Anyways, I tried and have exactly the same result with this two Query-URL:

I got from this Thread that Synology don't like the user/pass before the domain (#136)

So still my main question:
Can I get a current list of return codes and their corresponding meanings?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi again

of course. My apologies:

Result Codes Are As Follows:

• NOACCESS
    The authentication failed. This no only happens if the username/password is wrong, but if they send a hostname for a domain that isn’t under the user’s account.
  • NOSERVICE
    Dynamic DNS is not turned on for this domain. Each domain must have its own DynDNS flag enabled individually (by the user) in their member settings.
  • ILLEGAL INPUT
    Self-explanatory. The client sent data that is outside the allowed set for a DynDNS update.
  • TOOSOON
    Not enough time has elapsed since the last update. You need to wait at least 10 minutes between updates.
  • NOERROR or OK
    Everything works fine.

R4d0n

Hi sandy

Thanks, that looks what the support is searching for.
they asked me to this:
"Regarding these error messages, I'd like to know if they provided any corresponding error codes for these error messages. Or did they only provide these error response messages?"

So like in the debug of synology is something like this:
<ERROR CODE="700" TEXT="no update required for my.domain to 8.8.8.8" ZONE="my.domain">
So do you also submit such codes with the Result Codes from above?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
in our dynamic logs if an update arrives for a host record but its the same IP as what is currently in the zone file then yes.. that type of message is created.

regards

R4d0n

Hi sandy

So the list above is not complete? Is there a complete List?
And is the error code "700" from your Dyn DNS generated? if yes, can you provide also the error codes with the Result Codes?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi again

Error code 700 wouldn't be generated by our system, but probably a Synology error

regards.

R4d0n

Hi again

Sorry for coming up again, but I need the info for the Synology support, that they can implement it right.
So probably for my request ZoneEdit answer come with the result code "OK" and a message like "no update required for my.domain to 8.8.8.8"

Is there also a list of possible result text with the result code?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again I am sorry, all we have available for response codes :

Result Codes Are As Follows:

• NOACCESS
    The authentication failed. This no only happens if the username/password is wrong, but if they send a hostname for a domain that isn’t under the user’s account.
  • NOSERVICE
    Dynamic DNS is not turned on for this domain. Each domain must have its own DynDNS flag enabled individually (by the user) in their member settings.
  • ILLEGAL INPUT
    Self-explanatory. The client sent data that is outside the allowed set for a DynDNS update.
  • TOOSOON
    Not enough time has elapsed since the last update. You need to wait at least 10 minutes between updates.
  • NOERROR or OK
    Everything works fine.

Conzelius

Hello
I'm joining this thread here: I own an older Synology, currently still running DSM 6. Now Synology has announced the end of life for DSM 6, so I would like to upgrade to DSM 7. Unfortunately, however, Zoneedit is no longer automatically supported with DSM 7. Hence my question: Is there now a manual solution so that Zoneedit can continue to be used with Synology DSM 7? The query above is apparently not supposed to work? I would like to make sure before I upgrade to DSM 7.

Many thanks and best regards

Conzelius

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Conzelius.
thanks for contacting us on this We are looking into this presently.

regards.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi again I am sorry, we do not have the actual appliance to test... it is suggested you contact the vendor itself with the concern

regards

R4d0n

Hi Conzelius
I had a long discussion with Synology support. Result: they don't plan to change anything, because "no support" of Zoneedit and for them it is a "feature request", in my eyes it is a Bug.

But it is working. There is only a "Bug" in display the right state in DSM Control Panel. (At a NAS from a fried with DSM 7.2.* it is working without "my Bug", I don't found the reason.)
Working Query-URL for ZoneEdit:

Bug in detail:
It works fine and in protocoll shows "successfully" but DSM Control Panel shows "failed" (Test Button works during config window with "normal" state).
I also had a secound DynDNS (also custom) and as soon as I activated the ZoneEdit, also this one change from "normal" to "failed" but also this one is working fine.
So it is only a "Display Bug" and has impact on display the state of other DynDNS entries (at least other custom entries).

I havn't investigated more after this and hope this will help others. Or if others also go to Synology support, maybe they will repair it sometimes.

Regards

Conzelius

Hi R4d0n

Thank you very much for your answer and explanation! Good to hear that it works after all. So if it's just a "display bug", I can live with it and probably dare to update to DSM 7. ;)

Regards

Conzelius