Domain Registration Help / TOS

nburger

I'm considering ZoneEdit for my domain registrar. My domains expire early December.
  1. Does ZoneEdit have any TOS or contracts aside from the Terms and Rules linked at the bottom of the website? Where can I read them (I can't transfer until I resolve #2)?
  2. My current registrar is making it hard for me to get my EPP codes. Is there any alternative for transferring a domain?
Details: I've long used DomainGuru as my registrar and zoneedit for my dns service. DomainGuru has transferred my domains to enom, and enom has a TOS that include binding arbitration and class action waiver clauses. I will not waive the Judicial Branch of the US Government so I'm shopping for a new registrar. Enom support requires me to use their website to get my EPP codes, and the website requires me to accept their TOS before granting access to any functionality, including epp codes, closing the account, and requesting help. Thus, I must accept their contract in order to decline their contract. It's a strange situation.

I've spoken with their support, and sent emails to domain guru and legal@enom.com. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

nburger

Thanks, that seems like an excellent suggestion.

Also, when I get the EPP codes will I need to sign any contracts or accept an additional TOS that I haven't already seen? I'd like to read anything like that ahead of time so I can be sure it will go smoothly.

Thanks again,

Nick

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
When you add a domain you are asked to agree to:
https://cp.zoneedit.com/support/terms/terms.php which also include:
12. CONTRACTS OF ADHESION

Because of our Status as an ICANN Accredited Registrar, part of our contract with ICANN makes it a requirement that we bind you to ICANN through the following contracts of adhesion (sorry)

regards.

nburger

Sandy,

I think I successfully initiated the transfer for my primary domain. I have two additional domains that I've registered for a project I'm considering. I just need a registrar for now. I don't need any other services yet.

1) How do I transfer those domains to ZoneEdit? Do I need to sign up for DNS services first?

2) I appear to have 4 free DNS slots available. On "https://cp.zoneedit.com/signup/free_dns.php" there is the option to "Optional Transfer my domain registrar to ZoneEdit right away: Doing so makes it a paid domain, qualifies for premium support and preserves your free slot". Can you explain what that means? Would checking the box set up ZoneEdit as the registrar and give me free "paid domain" status? Or is this an option on the "add a domain for Free DNS*" form to change my mind and pay for DNS after all?

Thanks

nburger

Also, I see that there is a different support path for paid DNS customers. Is this forum the appropriate place for support for customers paying for domain registration? Thanks.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
once you ad dthe domains for free DNS and include a registrar transfer... on your membvers page click the Get Support link to send in an authenticated message. add attn Sandy in the subject line and I can remove them from free slot status for you. regards.

nburger

Thanks Sandy.

I'm not quite following. I take it that I should use the https://cp.zoneedit.com/signup/free_dns.php form.

Should I check the "transfer my domain registrar" checkbox there, or leave it unchecked and transfer the registrar the same way I did with my first domain? I don't mind using free dns slots for now, particularly if there are benefits and I can free them up later.

Thanks

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
yes.. select the transfer my domain registrar" during that point of the sign up procedure. paid DNS cpm,s with three nameservers to delegate while free dns comes with two. you do have ticketing support available as you have paid for registrar transfers.

nburger

Thank you. This is turning out to be less trivial than I expected. There is a new wrinkle, and would like to confirm the plan.
  1. My first domain saying, "reminder to unlock coldnight.com." Is something wrong? I gave ZoneEdit the EPP code when I requested the transfer, and Enom said that was all you would need.
  2. So, I should check all of the boxes on free_dns.php for my two additional domains and you will fix it so I'm not paying a monthly fee?
  3. The form at free_dns.php tells me that I have 4 free DNS slots available, in addition to the one I'm already using. I've been with ZoneEdit for a very long time. I recall a number of special perks that were offered during one major reorganization. Could it be that the normal policy is 2 free slots, but I have 5 because I was granted extra during that transition?
Thanks again.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
yes you have 5 free slots as your account is a legacy account.
domain names must be unlocked at their current registrars before they can be transferred,

and Yes for number two.. additionally.. going forward please click the Get Support link top right of your zoneedit account to oppen a support ticket :)