Do I need NS records?

Julian7

I have a simple domain registered with GoDaddy.

If I go the the domain page in ZoneEdit, it says under "nameservers":

The following nameservers can be used with this domain:
  • dns1.zoneedit.com
  • dns2.zoneedit.com
  • dns3.zoneedit.com
So, I have entered these nameservers at GoDaddy.

For reasons I can't remember, I have NS records on ZoneEdit that have HOST @ pointed to, for example, ns12.zoneedit.com.

Do I need these NS records at all? Can I remove them safely without risking upsetting email etc? If I need them, do I need to change them to point to dns1... etc?

Thanks,

Julian

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hello Julian,

Older domains using Zoneedit for a long time will have a legacy configuration. That legacy configuration will consist of the nameservers set as ns#.zoneedit.com and the NS records in the zone (should) match.

However, after acquiring Zoneedit in 2014, we slightly changed things.

Newer domains will have *one* NS Record set to "LOCAL", which is a placeholder for their service level (either FreeDNS or Paid DNS).

You *can* configure/modernize your older domains DNS settings to have one NS record set as:

Host: @
Nameserver: LOCAL

For FreeDNS, you would update the nameservers delegated on your domain to:
dns1.zoneedit.com
dns2.zoneedit.com

Paid DNS, you would delegate to:

dns1.zoneedit.com
dns2.zoneedit.com
dns3.zoneedit.com

If you have any further questions or concerns, let me know.

Julian7

Hello Julian,

Older domains using Zoneedit for a long time will have a legacy configuration. That legacy configuration will consist of the nameservers set as ns#.zoneedit.com and the NS records in the zone (should) match.

However, after acquiring Zoneedit in 2014, we slightly changed things.

Newer domains will have *one* NS Record set to "LOCAL", which is a placeholder for their service level (either FreeDNS or Paid DNS).

You *can* configure/modernize your older domains DNS settings to have one NS record set as:

Host: @
Nameserver: LOCAL

For FreeDNS, you would update the nameservers delegated on your domain to:
dns1.zoneedit.com
dns2.zoneedit.com

Paid DNS, you would delegate to:

dns1.zoneedit.com
dns2.zoneedit.com
dns3.zoneedit.com

If you have any further questions or concerns, let me know.
Thanks for that very clear explanation. I have added the LOCAL NS record, and everything works. Much appreciated.

Julian