dns1 and dns2 not updating ?

Quitehairy

Looks like something is wrong with zone transfers with these two name servers ?. I've tried a 'force retransfer' from the control panel but it's still stuck on a copy from late last week. Any clues ? (e.g. domain conscious.co.uk).
Thanks.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there
there appears to be a BIND error in the zone update that is stopping our servers from reloading the zone:

./xfer-in.log.1:22-Jan-2022 16:11:19.469 transfer of 'conscious.co.uk/IN' from 156.67.241.213#53: failed while receiving responses: CNAME and other data

Please run a check on the primary, it'll show a zone error

regards.

Quitehairy

Hi ... thanks for the quick reply.

dig conscious.co.uk axfr @ns1.conscious.co.uk

shows no errors for me and transfers correctly. All other secondaries updated ok, although maybe they're just tolerant of an error I'm not seeing ?.

Can you give me any further clue on what the transfer doesn't like about the CNAME records ?

Regards
(edited to correct TXT for CNAME)

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
what are the new records included in the update you are trying to perform?

regards

Quitehairy

Hi,

It's a mixed bunch of records that are for integration with https://postaga.com/ ... I commented them all out and have put them back one by one and tried a zone transfer each time. The ones causing problems seem to be these:

email.postaga.conscious.co.uk. 21600 IN CNAME mailgun.org.
postaga.conscious.co.uk. 21600 IN CNAME mailgun.org.

I'll check with Postaga if these are right but at first glance they don't look obviously problematic.

Cheers.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again

both postaga.conscious.co.uk and email.postaga.conscious.co.uk are Cnames and as such are not eligible as a zone for mail.. they
must be A records to be used that way.

Quitehairy

Hi

True, but I don't think that's what they're for ... I think they're used for web based content and the inevitable marketing tracker bugs. We've got MX records for postaga.conscious.co.uk that cover the actual email sending. Anyway, I don't see how that would stop them being included in a zone transfer, or am I missing something ?

Cheers

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
It stops the zone from loading properly.... I just tested on some primary zones and adding a MX record for a Cname is npt allowed.. it will not let you save ethe zone..

Quitehairy

Thanks for your help. I've pulled the CNAMEs out of the Zone. I'll go have a dig in the RFC docs and see if I can find chapter and verse to go back to Postaga with.

Thanks again.