DNS update not propagating

bcowan

Hi,

I've been using ZoneEdit for free DNS on my domain (evilbruce.com) since May 2001 without any problems, but recently I've run into one. I changed my old XP server to a Linux one, so had to also change the dynamic DNS update client and set it up with the new AUTH token technique. That new client is definitely working, as I can always see my current IP address reflected in my ZoneEdit account. It just never seems to propagate beyond the ZoneEdit servers.

I see my domain has "inactive" status, but I don't know what that means. If I try to change it to active, the website says I need credits, so I assume that has something to do with a paid account.

Outside of changing the dynamic DNS client, nothing has changed on my account in 15 years, so I don't really know what's gone wrong. I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks,
Bruce

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Bruce.
I have changed the domain to be a free dns zone so that should help. As long as the zone is the way you want it and you have contacted the registrar and delegated:
dns1.zoneedit.com
dns2.zoneedit.com instead of the current:
Domain Name: EVILBRUCE.COM
Registrar: GODADDY.COM, LLC
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 146
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Name Server: NS1.DNSEXIT.COM
Name Server: NS2.DNSEXIT.COM
Name Server: NS3.DNSEXIT.COM
Name Server: NS4.DNSEXIT.COM

then it will be OK to click the activate link next to the domain on your zoneedit members page.

thanks
sandy

bcowan

Thank you, Sandy. I really appreciate your help. After following your instructions, it is working now.

Regards,
Bruce

zonenoob

Where can I find the zone to delegate?

It is dns1.zoneedit.com & dns2.zoneedit.com above, but

ns12.zoneedit.com & ns4.zoneedit.com on the below page:

forum.zoneedit.com/index.php?threads/dynamic-dns-not-showing-in-dns-lookup.4903/