DNS Dynamic IP Issues

Jinx

Greetings,

My domain, "jinx.cc", has been inconsistently giving different IPs the past few weeks. This can most easily be seen here. For some reason, it has been holding on to an IP address that I last had on March 10th, and oscillating between that and my current address.

I have of course checked my update client, as well as ZoneEdit itself; every time I've checked, both my update client and ZoneEdit's "DNS Settings" page have properly displayed my current IP.

I discovered this issue weeks ago, but thought perhaps it was just a propogation issue, so I waited for a while to see if it would work itself out. It unfortunately has not.

The nameservers used are "NS9.ZONEEDIT.COM" and "NS16.ZONEEDIT.COM".

Thank you for any help you can provide.

"Jinx"

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
HI there.

I have reloaded the zone and it has updated properly now. If this happens again please let us know as soon as you can.

thanks
sandy

Jinx

Hi Sandy,

Thank you for updating the zone. It was indeed working properly for a few days. However, my IP has changed again, and it seems to be behaving the same way again (i.e. resolving differently at different times/servers).

Is there a bug in the system?

Thanks in advance for resetting it again.

"Jinx"

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member
I see the problem, but I won't have a fix in for tonight.

If you log into the control panel and rehash your zone (just edit the SOA or something and commit it), ns16 will pick up your change.
You could also take ns16 out of your delegation and put ns19.zoneedit.com in its place.

Will try to get this issue in ns16 fixed for tomorow (friday)

Jinx

Hi Mark,

Thank you for looking into it. I've left NS16 as a nameserver temporarily in hopes of helping to squash this bug. (I received a e-mail from ZoneEdit also recommending to switch to NS19, not due to this issue, but because apparently my current 2 NS are in the same data center.)

I just edited the SOA TTL to 5 minutes instead of 10, and now the IP for jinx.cc reports correctly. Thank you for recommending this workaround.

Were you able to fix the NS16 issue? I will check again next time my IP changes to confirm that it updates correctly.

Thanks again,

"Jinx"

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member
Hi, - yes the issue with ns16 not reflecting changes via dynamic DNS has been fixed. I posted that but I realize now it was a in a separate thread.

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member
That has to be something different. What's the domain name or host record?

peck

I am having same issue, domain "b33smedia.com". When IP change, updater do the job, but any dns query gets old IP. Login to the control panel, the correct IP is shown, just save again fix the problem but it is annoying.

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member
I see an update from today that updated it to 175.143.139.176, which is now live. Did you have to login and reload for that to happen?

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member

In this case, I am looking at delunasaenz.com and www.yobuscoen.com and they are in the control panel as A records, not DYN type. Usually if we get a dynamic update for an A record we automatically put it under the DYN records, and I see successful requests coming in,

Apr 19 10:36:56 zoneedit:auth/dynamic.html[25838] [info] <-@189.225.129.94> SENDING: <SUCCESS CODE="200" TEXT="www.delunasaenz.com updated to 189.225.129.94" ZONE="www.delunasaenz.com">
Apr 19 10:36:57 zoneedit:auth/dynamic.html[25752] [info] <-@189.225.129.94> SENDING: <SUCCESS CODE="200" TEXT="www.beisbolicos.com updated to 189.225.129.94" ZONE="www.beisbolicos.com">
Apr 19 10:36:57 zoneedit:auth/dynamic.html[25447] [info] <-@189.225.129.94> SENDING: <SUCCESS CODE="200" TEXT="www.yobuscoen.com updated to 189.225.129.94" ZONE="www.yobuscoen.com">

so I will have to look further at this one.

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member
In general terms I've been checking the ddns updates they are for the most part working. I am finding instances where they are not and they are usually when people are sending updates for multiple hostnames and/or multiple domains within the same second. In those cases a few of them work, and a few don't take (but the database is updated). This matches

We've made some adjustments in the handler that updates multiple hostnames, let's keep an eye on this.

Yes latest updates are in A type instead DYN because i decide to update them manually since the automatic updates were not being "shown" to the world... i mean on the control panel the field was updated with the roght DYN ip adress but resolution was out of date until i put the site to "host" instead of dyn (that is manually)

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member
Yes latest updates are in A type instead DYN because i decide to update them manually since the automatic updates were not being "shown" to the world... i mean on the control panel the field was updated with the roght DYN ip adress but resolution was out of date until i put the site to "host" instead of dyn (that is manually)

You can leave them as DYN type records because you can still manually edit them as those types and still use the ddns updater once this gets fixed (which it already may be)