DDNS with Multiple Domain Names Authentication…?

wkirkman

Hello,

This is my first post here, so I am sure this has been address elsewhere but I am having no luck in finding the answer.

The BT Smart Hub 2 ISP router has a DDNS section, and I have been happily using the Zoneedit section to connect a single domain name. However, having now bought credits to host a second domain name, I am having issue in getting both domain names accepted.

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 19.16.16.png

The fact that the domain name/s are duplicated in the 'top' host box I think is a bug in BT's software as it appears to take two domains as meaning three blah blah… I think I can get that part to do what it needs to.

My question is, as each domain must use Authentication Tokens, how do I get it to even accept multiple domains? So far, I haven't been able to, hence this post. But with each domain needing the Token used as the password, then I am not sure how I am meant to get both domain names working under the single account.

Any help here would be appreciated? Many thanks.

William

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 19.16.16.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 19.16.16.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 0

zeadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello William,

Note that you only need one authentication token per ZoneEdit account. Also, any one of your domains should work but it's best to use the primary domain set up in the router.

-ZoneEdit Support

wkirkman

Thanks!

Now, after much testing, I have an odd situation. Both domain names are updating with DDNS — I've proven this by turning off the client, and removing the DYN entries from both domain names within ZoneEdit, and then turning the client back on. After some time, both domain names recreate DYN entries with the correct IP Address of the router.

But, despite this, the client software on the router constantly says:

Connection error - Request failed (domain1.com)

before changing and telling me:

Connection error - Request failed (domain2.com)

before going back to complaining about domain1 again.

Yet, it appears to be updating correctly within ZoneEdit.

I am guessing, taking a wild stab in the dark, that this is the developer's of BT's software for the router that just have buggy code (considering the trouble I had to go through just to get two domain names in the entry boxes).

But just in case, if anyone knows different and thinks that they know what might be causing this, please let me know. Thank you.

wkirkman

Seems… I have figured it out.

Instead of just the bare domain name in the Hosts box, I have to stipulate the 'exact' entry as it is within the DNS:

@.domain1.com
@.domain2.com

Suddenly, it says: Connected - without any errors.

Yay!