Can ZoneEdit Handle RDNS If I Change ISPs (MailServer Concern)?

Dick Rempfer

Hi. I have used zoneedit for years and am delighted with the service and the support I've received. I have also used a DSL-based ISP who provides a static IP address for some years and with significant difficulty I managed to get them to set up RDNS (or reverse lookup) records for my two domains in their system so that my home mail server would work properly. Prior to my ISP's setting up these reverse lookup records, emails from my home server would be rejected by intended recipient systems that performed RDNS lookups (craigslist, for example).

I live in a rural area and my existing, deteriorating, "extended DSL" Internet service has become so slow that I am thinking of changing ISP's to satellite-based exede.net. I know that I won't be able to get a static IP address from them and so I'd have to set up to use ZoneEdit with dynamic DNS. There are good instructions on how to do that, thankfully.

The issue that I'm troubled by would be this reverse DNS issue. As I've already stated, it was like pulling teeth to get my current ISP to set up records in their system for my domains' reverse lookups and I'm wondering if the new ISPs technicians would even know how to and/or be willing to do this.

1. Will I have to go through this onerous process again with exede.net?
2. If so, would the RDNS records update automatically when the dynamic IP address changed?
3. And, should I change ISPs, is there any alternative to my having to do steps 1. and 2. above (for instance, could zoneedit sort of alias/masquerade this for me)?

I hope my question makes sense. I suppose I should consider also having my domain mail hosted by a pay service. If I did that, would they take care of this reverse lookup issue automatically?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, that's for sure.

Thank you,
-- Dick R