Backup MX/MX Issues

cwilliams17

Hi

Since Oct 2nd I have not received any emails for my domain. I have an MX record and have paid for the Backup MX service in Zonedit. My domain sits behind a dynamic IP address and the emails stopped at about the same time as my ISP changed my IP address. I have Dynamic DNS setup so on the odd occasion when my IP address does change it automatically updates the Zonedit DNS servers with the correct IP address.

Just to be sure I have checked and Zonedit has the correct IP address details and also checked using a few Whois services that the DNS/MX info is actually correct

I am assuming that the Backup MX is holding the emails destined for my domain, is there a way that I can view what is held in the BackupMX, determine why they are being held and get them released

I have also logged this via Zonedit support but have received an email stating that for the Free services I must use the support forum unless I take out a paid for service. Looks like the fact that I already pay for the Backup MX service has been overlooked :confused:

jxdomb

It so happens that I have experienced the same problem today. After repairing about a 12-hour outage of my email server, I have received no stored emails from the ZoneEdit MX backup server. I also cannot determine how to manage this service from my new dashboard, although I am being charged one credit per month.

I am likewise interested to know how I can view what is held in Backup MX and how they can be released?

cwilliams17

Hi, I have managed to resolve my issue, it was a duff MX record

I agree, having the ability to view spooled emails in the Backup MX is a really useful feature. I did have a reply from Zonedit support and it was dropped in 2014.

To further troubleshoot my issues I signed up for a free 5 day trial from another backup MX provider and then edited my MX settings as follows

myserver.co.uk 0
newbackupmx.com 20
LOCAL 30

Once this was in place the emails in Zonedit Backup MX were immediately sent on to the new secondary backup MX and I could view these and confirm that they were not being held by Zonedit which then allowed me to narrow the focus my efforts in tracking down the issue

HTH