Zone information vanished

Niall Hosiene

Hi, all the zone information for my domain - hosiene.co.uk - has disappeared. I have been a zoneedit customer for 5 years, and this hasn't happened before. What can I do to recover the zone info? In the control panel, I don't appear to have the ability to add any records. Likewise, if I try to export my zone file, I get the following: "; Transfer failed."

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there

the domain name is on secondary DNS but has a zonedit IP listed as the primary IP. I am not sure how that would have worked in the past but perhaps it did with the legacy zoneedit interface.
Did you want to use zoneedit as the primary DNS provider or continue as secondary with you providing your own primary nameserver IP?

thanks
sandy

Niall Hosiene

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the reply. I wish to use Zoneedit for both primary and secondary DNS provider.

I made a change about a month ago, at the suggestion of you guys - but that was only so that primary and secondary could be in separate physical locations. If this change is responsible for my problem then I hold my hand up to it. But - as I said - I was only making the change after a recommendation.

So can you advise what I need to change to get service back, please?

Regards,
Niall.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
By chance would you have the ticket ID from your earlier support query that I can reference?

Sandy

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
we have been able to grab the domains zone file and set it for the domain name on your zoneedit account.
Can you please login and check the zone.

thanks
sandy

Niall Hosiene

Hi Sandy,

The zone looks fine now, and is resolving too.

The change I mentioned earlier was made on my domain name registrar's web site, and it was to ensure that the domain's primary and secondary DNS addresses were pointing to addresses in physically different locations. Therefore I made no change to the configuration on Zoneedit.

Hence I am puzzled about what actually went wrong. Could you please elaborate on your earlier explanation?

Thanks,
Niall.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
You had added a zoneedit IP into the primary DNS IP address field... most likely a mistake or misunderstanding but that would never work. When you are using zoneedit for secondary DNS
you need to add the IP address of your own primary in that area and then add the zoneedit BIND ACL onto that primary.

zone "example.com" {
type master;
file "example.com.zone";
allow-transfer { 64.68.198.91/32; 64.68.198.183/32; };
also-notify { 64.68.198.91; };

};

we removed that zoneedit primary IP and set the domain back to primary DNS instead of secondary DNS.

thanks
sandy

Niall Hosiene

Thanks for the explanation, Sandy.

It has never been my intention to host my own DNS service, so I'm not sure why/how the change occurred.

Regards,
Niall.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
for whatever reason it seems you added a primary IP via the DNS settings area.. that makes the domain on secondary DNS
instead pr primary.

sandy