Subdomains with their own cname/txt/mx/a/soa records

Ok so the old zoneedit used to give me access to my zone files and I thought I could create as many subdomain zones as I wanted and now it's all different.

Here's what I need to do. Without simple cname forwarding (that then won't work with a txt record of the same name as the subdomain):

I own and have <domain.com> with zoneedit.

I want <sub1.domain.com> as a zone that then has multiple cname records, mx/txt records if needed to simply point to a test-lab scenario for an office365 demo tenant. That tenant obviously wants a domain. So, I want to feed my test labs different <sub1>,<sub2>.<mydomain.com>. Each tenant needs to know the domain, add txt/mx records to test mail routing, wap or autodiscover records to test other features.

Since it does not <know> whether the domain I provide is a cname forwarding record (the way everyone seems to want me to do sub-domains these days), or a real sub-zone with all it's own separate DNS records and even SOA if needed.

Tell me I don't reall need each sub domain to be a separate zone at zoneedit? If I do does that mean I only have the 5 and cannot really have a handful of test subs under one of my free zones?

Hope that makes sense and thanks for any help!

I'll answer my own question but if admins can confirm. You simply tack on an extra <.subdomain> to the end of every cname/mx/txt/srv record you need for the subdomain. Does that look correct?

Mark Jeftovic (#fb)

Administrator
Staff member
you are correct, you simply enter your hostname in the LHS (left-hand-side) of the records and create your MX recs (CNAME, A names) as desired. YOu can even sub-delegate a subdomain away to external nameservers via the NS section.