Something changed with DDNS - not working now

KCD

Alright, here's the short version. I'm running a synology NAS and the built-in DDNS config used to work fine for ZoneEdit. Fortunately, our IP doesn't change very often, so we've kind of gotten away with it. Before I get into the whole troubleshooting deep-dive on the synology side, I've noticed something odd in the DNS config on ZoneEdit. The domain name should be ninjarhino.com. The DNS records show VPN.ninjarhino.com as the registered host.
-Do I need to change this to the actual host and not the full vanity URL?
-If so, I haven't found out how, any help files to guide me?
I'm inheriting a bit of a mess, and I appreciate anyone who can help me fill the ignorance gulf. When I was looking at the ZoneEdit info, I see all the records are now missing (mystery that doesn't need to be solved), but any attempt to add an SOA or A record seems to start with the vanity url (vpn.ninjarhino.com) as the base host. Any ideas?

A_record.png

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there
ok so ninjarhino.com is registered at godaddy but is delegated to zoneedit. the ninjarhino.com zone file does have NS records for vpn. pointing to zoneedit.. buy ninjarhino.com musty have a live zone file for this to work. so.. on your account click the Domains link at the top and add a domain.. then add ninjarhino.com for free dns ( option top right) and let me know when complete then I can check the NS records inside the zone.

KCD

Thanks, Sandy. I added ninjarhino.com to my registered domains. I'm not sure how it all happened, but I only care about making it work again. :) So, it looks like I may need to delete the vpn.ninjarhino.com domain and redo my settings with the ninjarhino.com domain? Also, what URL will I use for DDNS registration (dynamic.zoneedit.com maybe?)? Let me know what else you need me to do and thanks again for helping me unwind the plate of spaghetti.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there.

dynamic.zoneedit.com should be fine. i suggest deltinng vpn.ninjarhino.com as a stand alone zone file and justv use the parent for ddns for vpn.

KCD

Thanks some more for the help. This used to be a simple process on Synology: you simply selected ZoneEdit and entered your info and it worked.

Ok, I've updated my ZoneEdit info, I think correctly. Now, I'm still getting a failure on the DynDNS settings on my side. I'm using my account user, that dynamic token (not password), my host is set to "vpn.ninjarhino.com" and I'm using "https://dynamic.zoneedit.com/update" for the URL, and I've tried "https://dynamic.zoneedit.com" as well. I must be missing something still, and I'm hoping it's patience for updates to process?

mpinnuck

I run this in a browser, I watched with wireshark and communications ok.
But nothing happens, DYN record not updated.
Is this availability for free members?