Some DDNS names not resolving

esmith327

I have a domain (eriksbox.com) set as DDNS (@) that resolves fine, but the other DDNS records do not.
nslookup on the domain works fine, but the sub-domains all fail. dig trace shows this for those sub-domains (but looks fine for the domain):
Code:
dig +trace www.eriksbox.com
www.eriksbox.com.       7200    IN      NS      dns2.zoneedit.com.
www.eriksbox.com.       7200    IN      NS      dns1.zoneedit.com.
;; BAD (HORIZONTAL) REFERRAL
;; Received 180 bytes from 166.88.18.58#53(dns2.zoneedit.com) in 77 ms

www.eriksbox.com.       7200    IN      NS      dns2.zoneedit.com.
www.eriksbox.com.       7200    IN      NS      dns1.zoneedit.com.
;; BAD (HORIZONTAL) REFERRAL
;; Received 180 bytes from 31.220.0.12#53(dns1.zoneedit.com) in 133 ms

Confirmed that the registrar is using dns1.zoneedit.com and dns2.zoneedit.com as nameservers.

I've tried updating a few different settings in my zone (TTL for DDNS names, nameservers to LOCAL and AUTO) and nothing seems to have sorted it back out. I'm not positive the last time it was working, but it couldn't have been more than a month ago.

I'm a bit green when it comes to the intricacies of DNS, can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

sproskin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Erik.

I'm not 100% sure if this would be the root cause, but you appear to have separate NS records for each of your dynamic records. I've never actually seen it done that way before, and it could potentially cause issues with the nameservers having the records separated like that.

You should be running the NS records with just 'LOCAL' and not a LOCAL NS record for each Dynamic record.