Round-Robin and dynamic update

JUL

Hello, English is not my first language, so I will do my best to explain.

I have a domain, let's called domain1.net.
In domain1.net, I have 2 host:
host type points at id
www.domain1.net DYN x.x.x.x #1000001
www.domain1.net DYN y.y.y.y #1000002

So when i try to resolve www.domain1.net, obtain both ip (x.x.x.x and y.y.y.y).

Ok, now if I try to update the one who have id #1000002 (y.y.y.y) with this command:
https://dynamic.zoneedit.com/auth/dynamic.html?host=www.domain1.net&dnsto=z.z.z.z&id=1000002
the host with # id1000002 is updated (with z.z.z.z), but the host with id #1000001 is removed...

When the hosts are setting has type=A, no problem. But, according to the faq:

"#2: If You Update an Hostname / A Record dynamically it will become a type "DYN" record
This was done to preserve backwards compatibility with existing domains and clients. You can still manually edit or modify a DYN record like any other kind of A record."

So, setting the type as "A" is not a solution to me.

Is there a problem with record type DYN and round robin?
¡Thanks for your help!

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member
In all the years I've been in the DNS business, this is the first time I've ever seen somebody trying to update a round robin record via Dynamic DNS. It's not easy because it keys on the hostname.

I'll have to think about this for a bit. This wasn't supported on the old system was it?

JUL

Sorry, I don't know if it wasn't supported, I didn't use at that time.
Let's explain a little more to clarify things.

host type points at id
www.domain1.net DYN x.x.x.x #1000001

Ip x.x.x.x provide to us through DSL ISP provider.
Ip y.y.y.y provide to us through Cablemodem ISP provider.

So, what I tried it to do is: when my DSL provider went down, automatically change the first record to the ip of Cablemodem ISP:

host type points at id
www.domain1.net DYN y.y.y.y #1000001

And when DSL provider comes up put the ip x.x.x.x again in the id #1000001

Is this a strange solution for an automatic update on temporary broken links?
Thanks!

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member
It sounds like what you really want is failover DNS, which works from the server side and runs 1 credit per month. That would do exactly what you want.

jdoering

Came here looking for round robin dynamic DNS (not server-side failover DNS). Looks like the old platform did specifically support this - see Item 19 in your legacy FAQ: https://www.zoneedit.com/faq.html.

Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to implement if you either do some magic on the server-side so that two names can be defined as being mapped to one composite name (but ultimately an A record not a CNAME):

www-cable.domain1.net -> www.domain1.net
www-dsl.domain1.net -> www.domain1.net

Then the Dynamic client would update the non round-robin name while the backed would also update the derivative round-robin name. Alternatively you could add junk to the updates "dsl#www.domain1.net" vs "cable#www.domain1.net" to indirect from the real name (assuming '#' is not part of a legal DNS name here - otherwise some other char). But that might run afoul of some client's configuration validation logic.

Anyway; I was hoping this was supported given the FAQ but then realized it appears to be tied to specific details of the obsolete system.

Mark Jeftovic (#fb)

Administrator
Staff member
You're not the first to ask for it. What was the actual parameter for the "internal ID" named when using this on the old system?

jdoering

Mark, actually came across the FAQ and this thread just yesterday. I have had an account with Zoneedit for a long time but had not explicitly leveraged this feature on the legacy platform. So I don't know any more than you about what the IP address page described in the FAQ would have showed in terms of an "internal ID".