ns12.zoneedit.com does not contains my zone

FuN_KeY

Dear support,

My dns zone: mysweethome.ch
Name servers: ns14, ns12

Starting december I noticed failure when pfsense updated the dynamic IP address for record @. Most of the time ns14 did pick the new IP but it was not replicated to ns12. I has to manually log in the portal and change it from there to get a consistent value across both servers.

About 2 days ago things are getting worse, ns12 have no clue about my zone:

nslookup mysweethome.ch ns14.zoneedit.com
Server: UnKnown
Address: 23.27.48.61
Name: mysweethome.ch
Address: 144.2.66.37

nslookup mysweethome.ch ns12.zoneedit.com
Server: UnKnown
Address: 46.101.18.226
*** No internal type for both IPv4 and IPv6 Addresses (A+AAAA) records available for mysweethome.ch

I tried to remove/recreate the record from the portal but nothing helped.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there.

there were two sets of NS records in the zone and as such that can lead to the zone not loading properly. I have fixed this for you now. the TTL for dyn records cannot be less then 600 seconds. Please change that in the dyn records area on your members page and this should take care of the issue.

thanks
sandy

FuN_KeY

Hello Sandy,

Thank you for your quick response. I did increase all the TTL above 600, but ns12 is still returning me nothing.

Cheers

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
please change the nameservers delegated in the zone file and at the registrar to be:

dns1.zoneedit.com
dns2.zoneedit.com

while that server is looked at.

thanks
sandy

SDV

Hello,

I have a problem with ns12.zoneedit.com as well.

My zone is infinit.be

The name servers that I have been assigned to are ns14.zoneedit.com and ns12.zoneedit.com. I am using dynamic dns to update the A record of my host alpha.infinit.be. This works for ns14, but not for ns12.

Please have a look at the following case:

# nslookup ns12.zoneedit.com.

# nslookup ns14.zoneedit.com.

dig A +noadditional +noquestion +nocomments +nocmd +nostats +trace alpha.infinit.be. @8.8.4.4

infinit.be. 86400 IN NS ns14.zoneedit.com.
infinit.be. 86400 IN NS ns12.zoneedit.com.
;; Received 84 bytes from 194.0.6.1#53(194.0.6.1) in 95 ms

alpha.infinit.be. 300 IN A 83.101.48.65
;; Received 50 bytes from 23.27.48.61#53(23.27.48.61) in 44 ms

=> This is OK

dig A +noadditional +noquestion +nocomments +nocmd +nostats +trace alpha.infinit.be. @8.8.4.4

infinit.be. 86400 IN NS ns14.zoneedit.com.
infinit.be. 86400 IN NS ns12.zoneedit.com.
;; Received 84 bytes from 120.29.253.8#53(120.29.253.8) in 132 ms

infinit.be. 0 IN SOA dns0.zoneedit.com. zone.zoneedit.com. 1483938812 3600 600 604800 300
;; Received 92 bytes from 46.101.18.226#53(46.101.18.226) in 91 ms

=> This is NOK

I have now temporarily removed ns12 from the NS list (at zoneedit and at my domain registrar), so I am currently running on just ns14.

Greetings

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi SDV..

please change the nameservers delegated in the zone file and at the registrar to be:

dns1.zoneedit.com
dns2.zoneedit.com

both have the proper zone presently

thanks
sandy

SDV

Thanks for your quick reply Sandy. I have done the modifications as you have proposed.

Greetings,

SDV

SDV

Hello,

dns1 and dns2 have been working for a day or 2, but now it doesn't work good anymore. My dynamic IP address has changed, and has been sent to zoneedit. I have checked the control panel, and it is shown there correctly:

alpha.infinit.be 83.101.32.247

However, when I do a name resolution, I get the IP address that I was assigned yesterday

infinit.be. 86400 IN NS dns2.zoneedit.com.
infinit.be. 86400 IN NS dns1.zoneedit.com.
;; Received 84 bytes from 120.29.253.8#53(120.29.253.8) in 169 ms

alpha.infinit.be. 60 IN A 83.101.48.105
infinit.be. 600 IN NS dns1.zoneedit.com.
infinit.be. 600 IN NS dns2.zoneedit.com.

This is consistent across numerous DNS servers, so it looks like dns1 and dns2 do not get updated with the new IP address. Could you check please? Should I revert to my initial DNS servers (ns12 and ns14)?

Thanks,

SDV

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
the zone is not loading properly as the mailserver listed, mail.infinit.be is a cname and as such illegal in Bind.
if you remove that Cname and dynamically update a wildcard record *.infinit.be then
mail.infinit.be will become an A record and be available as a mail server.

sandy

SDV

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you mean, but it has been working for years like that. The only thing that I have modified a day or two ago is the following:

1) old situation
mail.infinit.be cname alpha.infinit.be
alpha.infinit.be A record (dynamic dns)

2) new (intended as temporary) situation
mail.infinit.be cname gamma.infinit.be
gamma.infinit.be cname alpha.infinit.be
alpha.infinit.be A record (dynamic dns)

So there are temporarily 2 levels of aliases. Is this what is causing the problem now? I will in the meantime implement your recommendations. When does the zone reload?

Greetings,

SDV

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
most likely one of the upgrades to the DNS servers we have gone through has caught the error and refused to load the zone where as before that 'errord' zone was allowed to load and function.

the zone will not reload until that MX record is modified.

sandy

SDV

Hi Sandy,

I had some problems with the wildcard, so I have set back my original config (one level CNAME, the one used in 1) above). This works. So I guess my 2 level CNAME was one too much ;-). My idea was to prepare a migration from alpha to gamma, but that will have to be done differently then.

Thanks again for your very helpful replies.

Greetings,

SDV