NameServer: ns1.zoneedit.com OR dns1.zoneedit.com ?

Mel Smith

Hi:

I'm a very old newbie at this name server stuff.

But, I note that most name servers start with ns1, ns2, ns13 etc. However, in trying to get my name server working, I note that my zoneedit dns editor for my site recommends using dns1.zoneedit.com (or dns2, or dns3).

So, should I use ns1.zoneedit.com or dns1.zoneedit.com

btw, I entered a more complete problem description, but it was rejected here as inappropriate or spam.

Can someone help please ?

Thanks,
Mel Smith (in Mesa Arizona)

sproskin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Mel.

You should use dns1(2,3).zoneedit.com.

The available nameservers for your domain are:
dns1.zoneedit.com
dns2.zoneedit.com
dns3.zoneedit.com

You can technically use ns1.zoneedit.com, however when we make quick changes such as in the event of a denial of service attach, we tend to change the dns1(2,3) records first.

Mel Smith

Hi Sproskin:

Thank you.

When examining my site (mesaeastpark.net) on zoneedit, I have the words:

"Active DNS Registration" displayed on the left of the pane.
On the right hand side, I have the following links: "DNS | EMAIL | NAMESERVERS | WHOIS | MANAGE"

When I click on 'nameservers', it says: 'No Name Server Delegation'. Then when I further click 'Edit', it shows me three default name servers:
dns1.zoneedit.com (and dns2., and dns3.). But when I select those and press confirm, it comes up with the following error message:

"[420] Authentication Failed" !

(btw, My site is registered with www.mydomain.com and I have set nameservers there to: dns1.zoneedit.com, and dns2.zoneedit.com)

I'm very confused now : (

Thanks for a ny further help offered.

-Mel Smith

sproskin

Administrator
Staff member
The reason you are seeing that is because the domain is registered with domain.com (http://www.domain.com/) so the delegation is not changeable on the Zoneedit side.

Zoneedit is only providing DNS services for the domain. The nameserver delegation will need to be changed with the registrar.

Mel Smith

Hi sproskin:

But I *don't want* the registration to be changed.

All I wanted was to *activate* my mesaeastpark.net site along with my other three sites on zoneedit. I do all my work on zoneedit.

How can I unravel this so that my newer site works on zoneedit like my other three sites ??

Sorry for causing all this trouble. I guess I must have done something wrong when activating mesaeastpark.net, and then paying the yearly fee for this activation.

Can you help any further please ? Or should I just delete the site on zoneedit and start again ?

Thanks.

-Mel

sproskin

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, so just to clarify the registration for mesaeastpark.net has always been with domain.com and you wish to keep it there?

Check your invoices for the domain, you will see the one for mesaeastpark.net includes registration transfer. I believe that is where the problem is, as I can only assume you intended to order just DNS services like your other domains.

Mel Smith

Right. I wish it to be just like my other domains !

Is there a way to unravel this, or is it too late ?

Thanks.

-Mel