My Free domain was Deleted by ZE. Why?

dbgarlisch

I received this last week:

The domain: xxxxxx.xxx has been deleted from the system.
Service Level: Free DNS
Date Added: 2015-05-31

The domain was never delegated to Zoneedit nameservers.

You can re-add the domain to the system or use the free slot for another domain.

Regards, The Zoneedit Crew

Why?

I have already reconstructed the free account and all is well.

I use this free entry to provide DYN sub-domain routing to my home, behind the firewall, server (inside.xxxxxx.xxx). The primary xxxxxx.xxx domain is already hosted on another system.

What can I do to stop this from happening again?

UPDATE:
Shortly after re-adding the domain, I received this email.

What does "delegate your domain to your Zoneedit nameservers" mean?

Activate xxxxxx.xxx

Your free DNS domain xxxxxx.xxx has not been activated on the Zoneedit nameservers yet.

Until you delegate your domain to your Zoneedit nameservers you will not be able to take advantage of your free DNS and myriad other benefits (such as dynamic DNS, email and URL forwarding).

To activate your domain on Zoneedit, log into your Registrar control panel, manage your domain and update it's nameservers to the following:

dns1.zoneedit.com
dns2.zoneedit.com

Don't forget to import your DNS settings first!

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
can you please send the domain name in again to access @ zoneedit.com and i will have a look....

there must be a status problem with the domain that is causing this.

thanks
sandy

dbgarlisch

Thanks Sandy, I will.

However, the last message I sent about a week ago was sent back telling me I should never send to that email again. Instead, I should use the forums since I am an "unsupported" member.

David

dbgarlisch

Sandy,

As you requested, I have sent emails to access @ zoneedit.com with the info you wanted.
I have re-added and configured the deleted domain. All is working again.

Now I need your help to stop it from being deleted again. :)

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
looks like another support rep may have taken that ticket.
if you send another to access @ and add an sandy in the subject line... add the domain name in the message body and I will check it out

thanks
sandy

dbgarlisch

Sandy,

I just wanted to say thank you for all your patience helping me get past my ignorance and finally getting my subdomain configuration up and running. I understand now what I was doing incorrectly before and it makes sense now.

During this journey, I did a lot of googling and found several different people wanting to accomplish the same thing I was doing*. However, based on our back and forth, it appears that setting this up properly requires human interaction on the ZE side of the process (you!) to create and properly ACTIVATE the subdomain. May I suggest that (similar to ZE's custom DYN dns record functionality), you add a helper/wizard/etc that provides an automated way of setting up and activating a subdomain on ZE that is hosted by another service?

Thanks again Sandy. All the best.

* For the reader, what I was doing:
  • I have a domain and hosting account at a company that is not ZoneEdit (let's call it domain.com at company H).
  • I have a personal, non-commercial server in my home behind the firewall.
  • I want the subdomain home.domain.com directed to my home's IP address.
  • This IP address is dynamic. It is changed about once a week by my ISP.
  • Company H does not provide a dymanic IP function (bad company!)
  • I used the free ZE domain to set up a DYN subdomain (this is where Sandy helped).
Solution:
  • I added a DNS record at company H that directs requests to home.domain.com to the dns servers at ZE.
  • I set up a cron job on my personal server that periodically checks the IP address assigned by my ISP.
    • When it changes, the new IP address is pushed to home.domain.com using ZE's curl web interface.
    • Be sure to use the access token method to login. Do not use your account password!
  • Now I can access my home server using home.domain.com!

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
we will be adding the functionality to be able to add sub domains soon without the assistance of zoneedit staff.
No ETA but hopefully soon.

thanks
sandy

dbgarlisch

Sandy,

Sorry to glom onto this old thread, but I am not sure what is going on.

You added a (free?) DNS entry (home.garlisch.net) for me due to limitations in the web interface (see thread above). Just a few minutes ago I received this buy credits request from ZE via email.

What's up? Why am I being asked for a payment?

Zoneedit Account Out of Credits
===============================

Dear Zoneedit Member,

Your account usage has depleted your credits and is now past due.

THE DOMAINS LISTED BELOW WILL BE SUSPENDED BY END-OF-BUSINESS TODAY

In order to avoid Suspension of your DNS servics, please log into your
Zoneedit account and add credits as soon as possible:

https://cp.zoneedit.com/manage/credits/start.php

Your Zoneedit Userid is: dbgarlisch