MX records going to wrong IP

Martin R

Hi,

I've been using zoneedit with Google Apps (now G Suite) for my domain nicolarichards.com.

I haven't received emails for the last 3 days, and it appears mail is being sent to the wrong host.

dnsstuff.com is giving the following info (which lists the wrong IP addresses, should be different for each entry, but they are all the same):

Two or more different MX records exist within the zone. This is good and ensures consistent and fail-safe mail deliverability. The MX records are:

preference = 5 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com. [192.64.147.142]
preference = 5 alt2.aspmx.l.google.com. [192.64.147.142]
preference = 10 alt3.aspmx.l.google.com. [192.64.147.142]
preference = 10 alt4.aspmx.l.google.com. [192.64.147.142]
preference = 2 aspmx.l.google.com. [192.64.147.142]

All connections to Mailservers port 25 have failed. The standard port for SMTP transactions is 25, so your servers should be operating on that port. It is recommended that it be fixed in order for your mail service to operate properly. The Mail Servers that failed are:

192.64.147.142 | failed message send with: failed cx open with: failed socket connect with: Connection refused
192.64.147.142 | failed message send with: failed cx open with: failed socket connect with: Connection refused

I believe 192.64.147.142 is voodoo.com, a domain parking site.

Why is this happening, and how can I change it?

Thanks

Last edited:

Martin R

Thanks for taking a look.

I haven't received any mail for days now, and that was my only lead.

Why do you return that address, it seems unnecessarily confusing?

The MX Toolbox link above says there are problems with the SOA record, is this an issue?

What you see when your domain has this problem
warning.png
SOA Serial Number Format is Invalid

Last edited:

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
for ... SOA Serial Number Format is Invalid

we use the EPOCH format for serial numbers.. perfectly valid but not what the dns checking tool is looking for.

thanks
sandy