mailmap SPF problem?

chrispe

Hi,

Some (but not all) emails forwarded via mailmaps have started bouncing in the last few days. It looks to be SPF related. Has zonedit started changing the envelope from address when forwarding?...

For example, emails forwarded to my ISP (zen.co.uk) are being bounced with an SPF error:
This is the mail system at host mxc03.zoneedit.com.

<sophie@paulson-ellis.myzen.co.uk> (expanded from <sophie@biggreentent.org>):
host mailcluster.zen.co.uk[212.23.6.67] said: 550 Not authorised by SPF.
Rejected by SPF record (in reply to RCPT TO command)

Other addresses forwarded to gmail instead get through, but show an SPF failure for the zoneedit MX IP when examined on reciept:
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
dkim=pass header.i=@motorolasolutions.com header.s=PPS--2020-03-17 header.b=vBkBsy95;
spf=fail (google.com: domain of prvs=2519d53778=chris.paulson-ellis@motorolasolutions.com does not designate 64.68.198.23 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom="prvs=2519d53778=chris.paulson-ellis@motorolasolutions.com";
dmarc=pass (p=QUARANTINE sp=QUARANTINE dis=NONE) header.from=motorolasolutions.com

drakecoldwinter

Hello,
I just got similar message a few minutes ago when sending to gmail account

mx.google.com gave this error:
This mail is unauthenticated, which poses a security risk to the sender and Gmail users, and has been blocked. The sender must authenticate with at least one of SPF or DKIM. For this message, DKIM checks did not pass and SPF check for [coldwinter.org]

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
coldwinter.org is using :

host -t mx coldwinter.org
coldwinter.org mail is handled by 0 1079557335.pamx1.hotmail.com.

You would need to find out what SPF record they recommend and add it as a TXT record on your zoneedit zone file.

regards

drakecoldwinter

in my TXT record in the TEXT box should I write this ??
Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 2.31.15 PM.png

Edit: I wrote
v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com ~all
in the TEXT area, I'll wait 5 min and try that

Edit2: I'm using hotmail, so I think I should maybe put this one here ?
v=spf1 ip4:157.55.9.128/25 include:spf.protection.outlook.com include:spf-a.outlook.com include:spf-b.outlook.com include:spf-a.hotmail.com include:_spf-ssg-b.microsoft.com include:_spf-ssg-c.microsoft.com ~all

Not sure wich one :(

Last edited:

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
sorry. all I can tell you is SPF records need to reference all outbound servers your domain uses to send email., only one outlook would be needed...

regards