Lag when changing Domain Name server

Jon L

I've been trying out moving some of my domains back to ZoneEdit and Im finding that theres a significant lag in between when I change the domain name servers and when ZoneEdit starts resolving my records. It appears that the domain sits in a status of "DNS Ready: OK To Delegate" until ZoneEdit does a refresh (whois lookup) to determine that the name servers now point at ZoneEdit. I've experienced outages as long as 20 minutes until this value refreshes and the domain records are once again resolvable.

Is this by design? Is there a reason the records arent resolvable right away once the name servers get changed? My old public DNS servers are still up and working so Im not understanding why ZoneEdit's arent resolving.

El.

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jon,

There should be no "lag" after adding a domain name to ZoneEdit name servers and querying our name servers directly.

There is always propagation, but if the name servers you're switching away from still have the zone information for your domain name, queries should go to those name servers instead.

The OK TO DELEGATE message does not prevent our name servers from answering for a zone if we're authoritative.

We'd need to see the behaviour you're describing.

Next time you add a domain name, or switch to ZoneEdit name servers, do a dig or NS lookup showing what you're describing.