Getting/setting password for email smtp server

Peter Van Rijn

I submitted Ticket: #24451 Issue with Mail Forwarding

The email after I received the ticket number directed me to the user Forum as I am a free user.

Note this is an issue on the Gmail side (and me).

I am using Mailmaps for my domain vanrijn.ca

Quite some time ago on Zoneedit, I forwarded all my *@vanrijn.ca emails via a mailmap to to my main gmail account, pvanrijn@gmail.com. Today, I wanted email for a specific user, peter@vanrijn.ca to a separate gmail account pietvr1952@gmail.com and to leave all the others (*.vanrijn.ca) to be sent to my main gmail account as before. This does work; I receive my emails in the appropriate gmail accounts.

When I set up the original *@vanrijn.ca to pvanrijn@gmail.com, I wanted to reply to these @vanrijn.ca emails I received as piet@vanrijn.ca, so I set up a 'send mail as user' name under
Gmail settings -> Accounts and Import -> Send mail as:
email address piet@vanrijn.ca as an alias to send mail through the SMTP server as follows:
SMTP Server: smtp.vanrijn.ca
Port: 587
(note: uses a Secured connection using TLS)
Username: piet
Password:

This has worked since I set it up, However...

I was setting up the new gmail account "Send mail as:" for peter@vanrijn.ca, SMTP server as follows:
email address peter@vanrijn.ca as an alias to send mail through the SMTP server as follows:
SMTP Server: smtp.vanrijn.ca
Port: 587
(note: uses a Secured connection using TLS)
Username: peter
Password: <== here is where I have a problem ==

I just don't remember the password.

Trying several old passwords I have dug up, so far I get back the error:
Authentication failed. Please check your username/password.
[Server response: DNS Error: 264782703 DNS type 'aaaa' lookup of smtp.vanrijn.ca responded with code NXDOMAIN 264782703 DNS type 'a' lookup of smtp.vanrijn.ca responded with code NXDOMAIN code(0) ]

Can I find out what the password for smtp.vanrijn.ca is and/or how can I reset it when I want?

Thanks

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hard to say... but you should create a host record for smtp.vanrijn.ca in the zone file pointing to its IP address if it is intended to be an accessible host.

sandy

Peter Van Rijn

hard to say... but you should create a host record for smtp.vanrijn.ca in the zone file pointing to its IP address if it is intended to be an accessible host.

sandy

Looks like I have my answer to Send As issue. Can't do it via google anymore, you need to use your domain SMTP server now and not Gmail's. Existing Send As records will continue to work but new one require you to use your own SMTP server, which I currently do not have :(

Cannot Setup Send mail as: on Forwarded email address
https://productforums.google.com/fo...xt-place=topicsearchin/gmail/send$20mail$20as

Peter Van Rijn

ahh interesting thanks for sending that link in.
sandy

I noticed that Zoneedit now has ZoneOut. I am guessing that this service would do what I am want?

Billing seems to be in advance. What happens if I pick the 500 email option but end up sending only 300? Is there a roll over of the 200 to the next month?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
yes zoneout is 1 credit per month and there is no roll over of unused sent messages.. its 500 per day, not 500 per month :)

sandy