Getting DNS outages

DarrenS

Hello. I had some downtime on my connection the other night, and since then I've been getting intermittent outage notifications from Uptime Robot and my site (sharefamily<dot>co<dot>uk) has been unavailable at times. I think it might have stemmed from the downtime resulting in me having a new IP address (I am on a nominally dynamic connection, but my IP address rarely actually changes. I have ddclient running to update zoneedit when it does).

I haven't done anything with my zoneedit settings for a while so in the hope of resolving this outages I changed the TTL value from 2 hours to 1 hour and I changed the NS records to AUTO as described on that form - I don't remember seeing this AUTO option before so I guess it's new.

My site seems to have been continually available for about 18 hours or so, but I'm still getting outages reported by Uptime Robot so I guess there are still some DNS issues in some locations. Can you see what's going on?

Follow up question; my domain registrar has delegated the DNS to the name servers ns12.zoneedit.com and t2.zoneedit.com which is what was set in the zoneedit control panel until I changed it to AUTO. I can't find any documentation to tell me if those are still correct or not. What should they be?
Thanks.
Darren.

[EDIT] I seem to have the same problem as [another recent thread - can't post URL] so I've set my registrar nameservers to dns1.zoneedit.com and dns2.zoneedit.com as suggested in that thread. Will see how it goes.

Last edited:

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there

you will also need to set dns1 and dns2 in the NS section on the zonefile within your zoneedit account.

thanks
sandy

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
LOCAL will set the NS records to the pre-defined nameservers and AUTO will set them to whichever nameservers are authoritative for the specified host.

as we are manually changing them at the registrar they need to be manually adjusted on the zone file as well.

sandy

DarrenS

LOCAL will set the NS records to the pre-defined nameservers and AUTO will set them to whichever nameservers are authoritative for the specified host.

as we are manually changing them at the registrar they need to be manually adjusted on the zone file as well.

sandy

Thanks again. I'm not actually sure I understand those definitions though. What are the the pre-defined nameservers and where are they set? And for the AUTO, how does it decide what nameservers are authoritative? I thought that would mean it would automatically set them to whatever I've delegated at the registrar.

Cheers.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
its a bot different with zoneedit as it is with easyDNS. zoneedit has a number of nameservers that can be used for a domain name .. especially legacy domains that were ported from the old interface.
New domains have either:
dns1.zoneedit.com
dns2.zoneedit.com
if they are a free dns zone.

or

dns1.zoneedit.com
dns2.zoneedit.com
dns3.easydns.com
if they are a paid zone....

so as your domain is a legacy domain it does not work the way it wold for a new domain on the system. The main key is to make sure you have the same ns listed at the registrar and within the zone file

sandy