Email Question

altern8

Hi - I previously hosted my own mail server from my lab environment but have since transition to a hosted solution (same place as my domain register). I still host other web services from my lab and therefore need to retain Dynamic DNS in place. I plan on removing my MX records (currently pointed to my email provider) but wondering if I also should remove my NS record as well?

zeadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
You would not want to remove the NS records as those are what connect you to the DNS service.
If you are disconnecting a mail server you just remove the MX record or replace it with a new MX record for the new mail server.

altern8

Thank you for the prompt response.

My goal is to keep the email registration info on the register/provider side (e.g. MX, TXT) and use ZoneEdit to manage my domain's A record using Dynamic DNS.

Out of curiosity, what happens if I have MX info on both ZoneEdit and my provider? Which of the two sources is used (apology if this has been cover in previous threads) or is it ideally to have ZoneEdit manage all aspects of one's domain to keep things simple?

Last edited:

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Only the MX record on the zone file that has its nameservers delegated at the domains registrar will be available.

regards