DNS Record Not Propagating

pcarnegie

Hi

I've used ZoneEdit for years, and it's generally been very reliable, but today, I find that the DNS record for carnegie-dixon.com is not being propagated. The settings/values in the CP are correct, but NSLOOKUP using a variety of Name Servers, eg 9.9.9.9, 8.8.8.8, 1.1.1.1 does not display the correct IP address - but they all show the same incorrect IP address which looks like the last IP address before the current, indicating that ZoneEdit has been correctly propagating the DNS records for carnegie-dixon.com previously.

Could you please take a look and see what's going wrong.

Thank You

Peter

Hi, I spoke too soon, just had an ISP outage so my IP Addr got changed, and although the IP looked correct in the CP, it wasn't propagating. Then I remembered that previously I had seen that one of the TTL was set to 5mins so I changed it to default to see what would happen, and when I checked the IP using NSLookup the IP had propagated correctly which is why I had thought that somebody at ZoneEdit had carried out the fixe, hence my previous post.

So, rememberingwhat I had done last time, and wondering if that change of the TTL was actually why the IP had propagated, I changed the TTL and lo and behold the IP has now propagated. So, whilst not great, at least for now I have a manual workaround available until the automatic propagation is fixed.

Anybody else having this problem, it's worthwhile trying this trick

Peter

Hi, I spoke too soon, just had an ISP outage so my IP Addr got changed, and although the IP looked correct in the CP, it wasn't propagating. Then I remembered that previously I had seen that one of the TTL was set to 5mins so I changed it to default to see what would happen, and when I checked the IP using NSLookup the IP had propagated correctly which is why I had thought that somebody at ZoneEdit had carried out the fixe, hence my previous post.

So, rememberingwhat I had done last time, and wondering if that change of the TTL was actually why the IP had propagated, I changed the TTL and lo and behold the IP has now propagated. So, whilst not great, at least for now I have a manual workaround available until the automatic propagation is fixed.

Anybody else having this problem, it's worthwhile trying this trick

Peter
Hello!

Exactly the same problem here. Changes are not passed on to the zoneedit name servers.
But changing the TTL also worked for me. Thanks for the tip!

The same thing happens to me, it seems the issue we had back in 2019 is coming back?
Started happening in my logs on July 3, 2024 this time.
For me it is for a dynamic entry (DYN), after updating the IP, I get the response SUCCESS CODE="200".
But the new IP is not propagated, so my script keeps trying to update over and over again.
What's more interesting is that when I login to the panel, I can see the new IP there. But then even the zoneedit own DNS server (139.177.204.42) responds with the old entry.

We located and corrected an issue early Friday morning, which would have resolved the DYN record update issues you were encountering. The solution that was mentioned is a valid workaround - update the TTL or make any change in the zone, and a reload would have forced the changes through.

Going forward, the records will update automatically as they should.

I've had a similar issue before with DNS records not updating. It could be a caching problem, either on your local machine or with the DNS servers you're querying. I’d recommend clearing your local DNS cache and maybe waiting a bit longer to see if it updates. If that doesn’t work, contacting ZoneEdit support could be a good move—they might be able to check if there’s a problem on their end.

DNS changes can sometimes take a while to fully propagate across all servers, and old records might still be cached.

Back